7 Ways to Know If Natural Childbirth Is Right for You (or Really Not)
You’re a Viking! A trooper! A superhero-esque creature when it comes to all things pregnancy. Or not. Labor day (and not the one that means the pool is getting ready to close for the year) is just over the horizon, and your birth plan needs some buffing up. Natural birth leaves you med-free and focused, while the other option involves some sort of doc-lead intervention. It’s a one-of-a-kind type of day, and you want everything to go the most “right” it possibly can. Weighing the pros and cons of natural birth is a totally normal part of during-pregnancy planning. If you’re on the fence, check out some of the reasons to (or not to) go natural!
1. No: You’re a pain wimp. Okay, so no one is making fun of you here. It’s perfectly normal to get kind of creeped out when it comes to things that hurt. Did you stub your toe and scream loud enough for everyone in LA to hear you (oh, and you happen to live in NYC)? Well, maybe natural childbirth isn’t for you. Hey, that’s okay. There’s no labor and delivery prize for shouldering the most pain.
2. Yes: Focus is your friend. You’re a meditation master. When you have a pain (any pain — even a migraine-level pain), you can focus it away. Your friends are in awe at how well-trained your mind seems to be. If you’ve got the breathing focus thing under control, the natural way may make more sense than dealing with drugs.
3. No: You’re beyond exhausted. Sometimes things don’t go as planned. This includes childbirth. You’ve been contracting for hours, and you’re exhausted. That’s it. You’re done. Mama out. You can’t possibly stand one more moment of pain. If this sounds like a possibility, consider the idea of medication. This doesn’t mean that you’ll get an epidural the moment you feel the teeniest, tiniest twinge. Instead, keep the option open just in case an overwhelming wave of tiredness takes hold.
4. Yes: You’ve totally got this. Positivity is on the brain, and you’re 100-percent sure that you can do this whole childbirth thing, medication free! If your mind is completely made up, then go for it. As long as the doctor doesn’t have anything to say otherwise, stick with your gut and let your confidence flag fly high. Your Mother Nature-esque mindset will help to carry you through the childbirth process, without asking for meds.
5. No: You totally don’t have this: Childbirth is scary. You don’t know what’s going to happen and you’re scared, excited, happy, anxious and impatient all at once. When you’re wavering and not sure that you can manage the pain of childbirth, talking to your medical provider about your options is entirely in order. This doesn’t mean that junior has to be born all drugged up. But, consider the possibility that a little medical helper might make you feel better about the whole birth process.
6. Yes: The idea of being medicated makes you squirm. When you had your wisdom teeth removed, the oral surgeon offered you something super strong. You filled the script, but left the pill bottle in your medicine cabinet for the next four years. Unless you absolutely need them, you tend to shy away from meds. Obviously, if there’s a real medical issue and your doc says they’re a must, you take the medication. If not, au natural may be for you.
7. No mama’s better than another. Whether you go completely natural or you’re all about feeling nothing from the waist down, keep in mind one thing — this is your decision. You need to do what’s best for you, and not what you think other people expect. Don’t worry about what anyone else says (unless it’s your doctor, midwife or other medical pro who is part of your pregnancy process). This is your pregnancy, your delivery and your baby. Not some judgy mommy friend’s choice. Just be you!
What’s your take on natural vs. medicated birth? Share your ideas and tweet us @BritandCo !
(Photos via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.