Ditch Red and Green for These 14 Non-Traditional Christmas Decorations
Learn how to Light It Up with our tips and DIYs that create new spins on old traditions. We keep the best but tweak the rest so you can have a memorable experience that’s uniquely you.
While red and green are the traditional Christmas colors, that doesn’t mean they work for everyone’s decorating style. If you’re not the kind of lady who decks her halls with holly bouquets and dancing Santa figurines, chances are you’re looking for alternatives to all that scarlet and emerald. Grab a cup of hot chocolate and indulge in these 15 ways to go non-traditional in your Christmas decor.
1. DIY Pom Pom Wreath: Buck the trends and embrace all things fuzzy with the softest piece of seasonal wall decor you’ve ever had the pleasure of crafting. (via Brit + Co)
2. Cyndi Lauper Nostalgic Musical Tree ($149): This retro piece is not only a stand-out in all white, but the brightly colored bulbs bring just enough kitsch to keep it cute.
3. DIY Gemstone Ornaments: Spicing things up also means adding new textures and materials like gems and geodes. They’ll catch all the lights on your tree, and bring a glowing warmth you’ve come to expect from the season. (via Jojotstic)
4. May Contain Glitter UK ($21): To loosely quote Elle Woods, “Whoever said pink wasn’t a neutral is seriously deranged.” Same goes for seasonal decorating.
5. DIY Marbled Advent Calendar: Use your countdown to celebrate fresh hues and add a wildcard to your palette. (via Brit + Co)
6. West Elm Glass Gem Ornaments ($16): Metallics bring the warmth of the season, without limiting your color palette. So instead of reaching for your trusted reds, try some gilded gorgeousness.
7. DIY Wooden Garland: Wood is a natural element that you can use in so many different ways this holiday season. (via Handmade Charlotte)
8. Wall Charmers Mini Dear Head ($50): A little razzle-dazzle faux taxidermy is in order for this holiday season. It’s a cute place to hang extra ornaments and twinkle lights too.
9. DIY Pineapple Christmas Tree: There is nothing traditional about using some fruit as a tree! Dress yours up any which way by using mini LED lights, pom poms, and more. (via Brit + Co)
10. Target 4ct Jingle City Knit Cactus Ornament Set ($12): Does it count if the green is for a cactus? Probably not. With felted flowers and little beads, these succulent beauties inject some playful color into your decor.
11. DIY Tin Box Ski Slope: Turn last year’s cookie tins into mini scenes of wonder and merriment. Fill them with landscapes and cityscapes that inspire you, or just recreate what you see out the window. (via Brit + Co)
12. Anthropologie Fashion Cat Ornament ($20): These felted critters are the cat’s meow, and are sure to liven up any Christmas tree.
13. DIY Spray-Painted Garland: Pastels on a garland full of baubles? You got it. Bring your signature flair into the picture with a dash of spray-painted goodness. (via PMQ for two)
What are your favorite non-traditional Christmas decorations? Tell us all about it below!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
Additional reporting by Casey Watkins