18 Noodle Soup Recipes to Make You Temporarily Forget About Ramen
Ramen, the Japanese noodle soup that has swept the nation, isn’t going away any time soon. And we don’t want it to! But there are some seriously tasty noodle soups out there that aren’t getting their fair share of the spotlight. Let’s remedy that. From China to Thailand to Vietnam, here are the contenders for your new favorite noodle soup. You’re welcome.
2. Spicy Thai Curry Noodle Soup: This dish is a version of the Northern Thai curry, Khao Soi. With turmeric, ginger, garlic and broth as some of the main ingredients, you might want an extra helping to ward off any cold weather illnesses. (via Hapanom)
3. Sesame Soba Noodle Soup With Shiitakes, Snap Peas and Tofu: We’re not afraid to loudly slurp this Japanese-inspired, vegetable-forward soup with buckwheat soba noodles. (via Feasting at Home)
4. Cantonese Wonton Noodle Soup: Every time it rains, snows or is even a little bit chilly outside, we crave wonton noodle soup. The same applies for when it’s not any of those things outside. (via The Woks of Life)
5. Mi Vit Quay (Roast Duck Noodle Soup): There’s no way you’ll miss ramen when you have this soup that features a giant roasted duck leg, chewy egg noodles and some crunchy Chinese broccoli. (via Food Affair Vietnam)
7. Bo Bun Hue (Spicy Vietnamese Noodle Soup): Bo Bun Hue isn’t as widely known as its sister soup, pho. If you like pho, this soup is going to be your jam. It has a more delicate flavor thanks to the lemongrass. (via i am a food blog)
10. Seolleongtang (Beef Bone Soup): The creamy white color of this broth is a result of cooking down beef bones for several hours. It’s the perfect dish to simmer on a lazy Sunday afternoon as you take care of household chores and recharge. (via Korean Bapsang)
11. Budae Jjigae: Budae jjigae is infamous/famous for its incorporation of hot dogs, spam and instant ramen noodles. Also called “army stew,” it originated shortly after the Korean War because of food scarcity. You’ll understand why it’s still popular today, especially after a few drinks. (via Cherry on My Sundae)
12. Pho: We love pho so much, we’ll skip the pho-related pun. There’s some prep work involved here, but the end result is a meaty broth full of spice. This is the winter sustenance you need. (via The Woks of Life)
13. Lanzhou Beef Noodle Soup: Though Lanzhou noodles are traditionally hand-pulled, you can use Chinese wheat-based noodles found in the refrigerated section of your local Chinese grocer. This noodle soup is best enjoyed slurped. (via The Woks of Life)
14. Thai Boat Noodles: Most people living in Thailand can find this dish prepared for them right on the street. Unfortunately for us non-Thai residents, we have to cook it ourselves at home. It’s well worth it — and saves you a trip to Thailand. (via She Simmers)
15. Bún Thang (Vietnamese Noodle Soup With Chicken, Pork & Egg): This might be the Vietnamese version of chicken soup for the soul. Thang, roughly translated, refers to a medicinal bag of dried herbs or a “prescription.” You definitely don’t need a prescription to eat this soup — just a healthy appetite! (via Hungry Huy)
17. Korean-Chinese Spicy Veggie Noodle Soup: With a combination of vegetable broth and Korean chili flakes, this soup makes for a meal that will warm you up without weighing you down. (via Season With Spice)
18. Vegan Udon Noodle Soup With Chili Lime Roasted Tofu: A squeeze of lime adds depth and acidity to this noodle soup. Pour the broth over your greens when serving to leave your veggies that just-cooked crunch. (via Dancing Through Sunday)
Ready to cook a new noodle soup? Tell us which soup you can’t wait to try in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.