There is some unspoken rule among babies that if it can be put in your mouth, it will be. The wooden teether, the remote, the dog’s toy — it all goes to the same place. And with all those things going in baby’s chomper, creating a safe nursery is essential to your baby’s health and your sanity. That’s why you need to be careful about the houseplants you choose for your space. Below is a collection of 10 non-toxic, air-cleaning plants that look great and won’t send you running to the ER.
1. Fittonia: The very best part about this non-toxic plant is all the variety in the colored leaves. Its pale pinks will look lovely in your baby girl’s nursery, but there are also yellows and reds that will match a more gender-neutral nursery. (via A Beautiful Mess)
2. Snake Plant: For moms that can grow babies but not plants, try out this cactus. It doesn’t need much water or light, making it perfect for brown thumbs. (via Brittany Makes)
3. Boston Fern: Need to fill a large nursery corner? This fern has got the goods. It grows quite large, looks fabulous and is safe if ingested. (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. Baby Rubber: Believe it or not, this little plant can get pretty large. But the best part is that it won’t die immediately when you forget to water it. (via A Beautiful Mess)
5. Spider Plant: If you’re looking for safe + super simple care, the spider plant is where it’s at. Plus, it will grow you babies that you can repot to fill other rooms in your home. (via A Beautiful Mess)
6. African Violet: Those velvety leaves and purple blooms are just the bright thing to fill that empty spot on your baby’s window sill. Warning, little hands will probably want to pick mini bouquets for you. (via Getty)
7. Dracaena: Here’s a large plant that comes in several varieties, all of which are safe for nurseries. If your darling’s room is jungle-themed, dracaena is definitely the way to go. (via Getty)
8. Christmas Cactus: Succulents FTW. While you may not immediately think of a cactus for baby’s room, this one is safe to touch and puts out beautiful blooms in the winter. (via Brit + Co)
9. Prayer Plant: Aren’t these the most interesting plants you’ve ever seen? We wouldn’t mind having one for our desks too. (via A Beautiful Mess)
10. Jade Plant: You’ve probably seen these wherever you shop for succulents. But did you know that with proper care they can grow several feet tall? So get to it. (via Brit + Co)
Can you think of any nursery-safe plants that we missed? Tweet us and tell us @BritandCo!