9 House Plants Even *You* Can’t Kill
Nothing gives life to a home like an actual piece of livingdecor. Enter the high-maintenance houseplant — someone gave it to you as an apartment-warming gift, you picked it up at your local flea, or maybe you even shelled out some bills at the boujie nursery down the block. Whatever the case, you bring it home, and before long, it dies. So why not set yourself up for some serious green thumb success instead? We chose nine (nearly) un-killable houseplants that can be neglected, and will thrive if you give ’em lots of love. Scroll down for our top picks that are easy to care for, totally gorg, and guaranteed to liven up even your darkest room.
1. Air Plants: Boasting over 650 varieties, these Tilandsia BBs will live happily ever after, almost anywhere. Air circulation is a must, but they don’t need to be rooted in soil (hence, air plants) and they make the perfect easy-to-care-for addition. Style them as a solo statement or nestled in a glass terrarium. Keep in partial sunlight and mist leaves daily during warmer months, and more infrequently in colder months.
2. Snake Plants: Oh sweet Sansevieria, how we love you so. Known for being hardy and adaptable, and boasting multicolored edges of gray, silver, and gold, the snake plant doesn’t disappoint. Low light, occasional watering, and rare to nonexistent fertilizing make this leafy plant a top pick.
3. Cast Iron Plants: Touting glossy dark green leaves, this houseplant is both sturdy and elegant. Aspidistra is slow growing and prefers low light, cool temps, and high humidity, making it a great choice for your bathroom. If you can’t find it in the houseplant section, be sure to check the outside plant area where they’re often found and used for outdoor garden ground cover.
4. Aloe Vera: Summer is prime time for sunburns, so ditch the drugstore version and keep your very own Aloe plant alive and thriving at home for year-round pain relief! Known as the “plant of immortality” by the ancient Egyptians, this plant’s leaves are filled with a soothing gel. Bonus: It’s pretty to look at too!
5. Burro’s Tail: This cute succulent hails from Central America and loves being potted on a ledge or suspended vertically in a corner, where the stems will grow and dangle over time. Sedum morganianum prefers more sunlight and less water, and is easily propagated (baby shower gifts, anyone?).
6. Christmas Cactus: Like its common name implies, Schlumbergera bridgessii only shows its bright red flowers during the holidays. This feature makes it a gorgeous addition to any room and also a great present for all your plant-averse friends. Moderate light and frequent watering will keep this low-maintenance superstar happy.
7. Jade Plant: Considered to be good luck, Crassula ovata prefers around-the-clock sunbathing, doesn’t mind higher temps, and will take a little fertilizer every six months or so. Only water this little green queen when her top layer of soil dries out.
8. Pothos: This “starter” plant seems to stay alive no matter what — bright light or low light, dry soil or only in water (yes, it grows in water!), occasional fertilizer or none at all. And it’s happy dangling vertically or potted upright. Note: If you have plant-nibbling pets, steer clear of Pothos — although not deadly, it’s still considered toxic to animals.
9. Heart Leaf Philodendron: AKA the sweetheart plant, Philodendron scandens’ glossy, heart-shaped leaves will naturally climb or trail and are easy to tame either way. Give it a home in moderate to bright light, let the soil dry out between waterings (in warm months, mainly), and mist foliage occasionally.
What’s your favorite un-killable houseplant? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Illustration: Marisa Kumtong
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)