13 Unexpected Ways to Decorate With Plants
One of the easiest ways to turn your house into a home is to add plants. Greenery brings beauty, character, texture, and good energy into every space. Even if you don’t have the greenest of thumbs, taking care of real flowers and plants brings a certain amount of meditation into your everyday routine as you take care of them and watch them thrive. We’re always looking for an excuse to paint a pot or DIY a planter, so here are beautiful ideas for how to bring more plants into your home.
1. Macrame Hangers: Brighten your space with some macrame planters like these ones. Hang near the window in the living room or by the kitchen window. (via Brit + Co)
2. Pegboard Headboard: We adore unique headboards. And when you live in a small space, you’ll appreciate a headboard that not only holds bedtime essentials – a book and an alarm clock – but also a little potted plant. (via Sugar and Cloth)
3. Window Ledge: One of the main reasons indoor plants die is because they’re not getting enough light. DIY this little ledge to fit in your kitchen window and set up your collection of herbs and succulents. (via A Beautiful Mess)
4. Air Plant Wall Art: Air plants are pretty cool, but air plants tucked into colorful string art is even cooler. (via Brit + Co)
6. Plant Shrine: Forget the bar cart and go all out with a plant cart. If you have extra surface area without much going on, try adding layers of plants into a lively mini jungle. (via IKEA)
7. Potted Paper Plant ($100): Can’t manage to keep a plant alive? We won’t judge, but we will suggest this very cool paper plant as a replacement.
8. DIY Marble Pots: Okay, you may not be able to splurge on fancy pottery, but if you can spruce up a standard ceramic pot with a swirl of nail polish to create a marbled effect. (via Brit + Co)
9. Small Spaces: When you live in a small apartment or a studio, you don’t want to lose any floor space. Just hang plants or even mount them on the wall to get your greens without sacrificing the precious space. (via Getty Images)
10. DIY Sand Art Terrarium: Don’t want to put a hole in the ceiling? You can always hang these terrariums off the side of a bookcase or cabinet for a casual hanging look. (via Brit + Co)
11. Fill the Space: A variety of plants perched on a sill can be a sneaky way to get some privacy in a window where you don’t want to hang a curtain. (via Brit + Co)
12. Fruit-Basket Succulent Holder: You only need a few materials to adorn this fruit basket that lets you repurpose an item you may not use often. (via Brit + Co)
13. Long and Flowing: Plants that drape down are an unexpected touch that’ll really make your room memorable. (via Getty Images)
How do you incorporate plants into your home? Show it off with us on Instagram at Brit + Co.
If you lack a certain way with words, then perhaps you can rely on showing how you feel this holiday season with an artful greeting card you can make at home! Brit dropped by our crafting studio where we teamed with Camp by Walmart to create a choose-your-own-adventure holiday card tutorial. In the interactive video, it's up to you to decide what type of card you want to make — sentimental, or stylish? Three-dimensional, or keep it simple? After you've selected your design vibe, Brit helps you assemble it all together so your last-min card is ready to send. Get ready to pick up a few new DIY tricks when you watch the video now!