It’s that time of the year again. We’re talking about New York Fashion Week. All over NYC, editors, stylists, designers and off-duty models are darting from venue to venue as the biggest names in fashion display the hottest upcoming trends for the year. Of course, many more can only observe the chaos from afar, so we’re breaking down some of the most-wearable trends and most outrageous looks from day one for our Busy Girl’s Guide to NYFW.
1. Need-It-Now Look: At BCBG Max Azria’s show at the Skylight Moynihan Station in Manhattan today, it was all about the big, bold layers. Think faux fur, python print, leather and lots and lots of textures when you’re creating your fall/winter ensembles this year. As for makeup and hair, understated was the name of the game — we’re seeing lots of glossy lids, nude lips, tousled hair and fresh, clean-looking skin for the upcoming season. #Fierce. (@BCBGMaxAzria)
2. DIY Hair Inspo: For this upcoming season, volume is out. Both at the Creatures of the Wind and Marissa Webb fashion shows — amongst several others — the trend is very sleek hair that lays flat against against the scalp. TRESemmé stylist Jeanie Syfu tells us the key to achieving this look is using a hair dryer and making sure you blow your hair very straight and flat in the direction you want the hair to lay — a trick borrowed from Dominican blowouts. Another hot trend is deeeeeeeeeep side parts. (@lyokatyagnereva)
3. Next Level Nails: This nail look we saw backstage at Marissa Webb. It’s an updated take on the orbital manis that were so popular a few seasons back where a ring was painted all the way around the nail bed. According to Miss Pop, the nail artist who created the look, it’s all about the blank space. “The square shape is really big in nails now and having those harsh lines is really fun, ” she tells us. “Black is classic and especially like this, it’s edgy without being too raw. You’re showing a part of your natural nail. It’s sexy but no one is worried you’re going to bite their neck and suck their blood.” (@infubilu)
4. Street Style #Slay: No need to be color shy here. These ladies mixed and matched patterns and hues and SLAYED it. If you want a toned down version of this trend, no need to overdose on all the brightness. Just pop in some colors and patterns here and there. (@beckermanblog)
5. OMG Runway Moment: Of course colorful Spanish brand Desigual would bring us the OMG Runway Moment of the day. This graphic printed, furry (faux we hope?) cape with a hood is probably NOT going to find it’s way into your closet next autumn, but hey, it’s fashion week. (@lorenhatch)
Will you be trying out any of these trends in the fall? Tweet us @BritandCo!