10 Alexa Skills That Will Change Your Parenting Life
Alexa isn’t exactly where the term “mother’s little helper” originated (far from it), but that’s not to say it can’t lend a major hand to moms everywhere. (We’re fully on board with getting a little Amazon assistance now and then!) If you need some serious mommy-ing help, check out these not-to-miss skills.
1. Quick List: There’s no chance that you’ll remember the all dozen things on your shopping list next time you’re shopping. But Alexa can help you ask Quick List to add items that you’ll need as you remember them, making your shopping trip with baby a breeze.
2. Any.do: Carpool. Band practice. Ballet. Soccer. Mommy and Me. Playdate. Playdate. And another playdate. Oh the list goes on. Simply ask Alexa to add almost anything to your to-do list and it’ll be there waiting for you.
3. Life Hacks: You need hacks, but what busy mama really has time to Google those helpful how-tos daily? Now you don’t have to. Just ask Alexa to open Life Hacks and you can get the completely creative help that you crave.
4. Amazon Storytime: Alexa opens Storytime and storytime actually happens. There are plenty of professionally narrated picks for older kiddos, including choices from Audible short stories and the Amazon Rapids app.
5. Sesame Street: You’re looking for a way to entertain your tot — without having to scour the internet for ideas. Sit this one out and let the littles ask, “Alexa, open Sesame Street.” Here’s where the fun begins. Your Elmo enthusiast can talk to the furry red friendly monster, play games, and do so much more.
6. Wake Up Clock: Do you fantasize about your child staying in bed until the sun makes its way over the horizon? With this skill, your child asks Alexa if it’s time to wake up — and gets the answer that you set.
7. My Mickey Vacation Travel: A Disney vacation might be totally welcome, but the planning that goes into it is definitely not. If you’re not into the travel prep, My Disney Vacation can help you learn more about the parks, where to eat, what attractions to visit, where to shop, and what to do on your magical family getaway.
8. Guided Meditation: Meditation of the Day for Calm: Every mama needs a little Zen in her life. When you feel overwhelmed, stressed, or just can’t cope, Guided Meditation gives you three to eight minutes of calming bliss.
9. Instant Pot: If you’ve jumped on the bandwagon but you’re still not exactly sure what to cook in your new Instant Pot, ask Alexa to open “Instant Pot” for all kinds of yum-inspiring recipes.
10. Baby Sleep Sounds: You say it’s bedtime but your baby doesn’t agree? Ask Alexa to open “Baby Sleep Sounds” and get ready for some serious zzz’s. Even though Baby Sleep Sounds can’t actually put your kiddo to sleep, its calming music can help lull the little love off to dreamland.
What’s your favorite Alexa skill? Share your pick and tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Photo via Getty)
- 10 Alexa Skills That Will Change Your Parenting Life - Brit + Co ›
- Everything You Need to Achieve Your Self-Care Goals This Year ... ›
- 5 Must-Read Tips for Communicating Like an Adult in the Workplace ... ›
- 8 Ways to Make Time for Girlfriends (and Yourself!) After Kids - Brit + ... ›
- 21 Amazon Prime Day Deals You Don't Want to Miss - Brit + Co ›
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.