11 Reasons You Should Add Pineapples to Your Beauty Routine
Pineapples: You can grill the heck out of them, use them in a upside-down cake or make a mean piña colada for those happiest hours of all. It’s the fruit of summer, and it’s time to reap all its benefits for beauty. So, if you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain, use these tips on why and how to incorporate pineapples into your everyday beauty routine.
1. Healthy Teeth + Gums: With high amounts of vitamin C, eating slices of pineapples strengthens the gums, which keeps our teeth healthy and strong. Not only does pineapple whiten teeth, but the enzyme bromelain keeps plaque away and helps fight gingivitis. (via Martha Stewart)
2. Youthful Skin: If you are looking for a natural way to slow down the aging process, pineapple is your best friend. They’re loaded with antioxidants and alpha-hydroxy acids, which fight skin-damaging free radicals. Create this pineapple and mango face mask to soak up all these benefits. (via Move Nourish Believe)
3. Fewer Wrinkles and Warts: When you apply pineapple juice directly to your face (for no more than 5-10 minutes!), it can ward off moles, warts and blemishes. Don’t worry if you have sensitive skin — the vitamin C gives skin a healing touch. Pineapples also reduce the sight of wrinkles due to their large amounts of bromelain. If you want a deep-cleaning effect, DIY this scrub for wrinkle-free skin. (via Brit + Co)
4. Soft Lips: When it comes to pineapples and lips, it can be a tricky little game. For some, the acidity doesn’t bother them. For others, it can be too painful. Whether you use a natural pineapple slice to exfoliate your lips, or this lip scrub, make sure you wash away the pineapple juice within five minutes to prevent the acidity from burning you. (via Briarmuse)
5. Fewer Dark Spots: Fruits that are high in enzymes, like pineapples, are perfect to brighten and soften skin when used topically. Whether you crush it into a paste or use pineapple juice directly with a cotton ball, it will help get rid of the dark spots on your face for subtle, lighter skin. (via The 36th Avenue)
6. Healthy Hair: Do you panic after taking a shower when it seems like Chewbacca joined you last minute? Well, panic no more! Just by consuming pineapples, you are strengthening your hair follicles. The large amount of vitamin C and antioxidants that fight free radicals will improve their elasticity and thickness by making them more resistant to breakage. If you don’t feel like eating pineapples, use this shampoo as a great substitute for stronger, healthier hair. (via Lush)
7. Healthy Cuticles and Nails: If you are the type of person that constantly has dry hands, then try using a pineapple paste to heal your cracked cuticles and nails. Nails are usually brittle due to vitamin deficiency. By eating pineapples, you are already healing your nails from within. You can also use a cotton ball full of pineapple juice to rub all over the tips of your fingers for beautiful soft nails and cuticles. (via Divine Caroline)
8. Firm, Flexible Skin: Pineapple juice is simply amazing. It synthesizes collagen, which creates firm, flexible skin. Vitamin C aids in cell and tissue repair to keep you looking young. You can also directly rub pineapples over your face to speed up the process. Just rinse afterwards to get rid of the acidic juices. Repeat this treatment every three days so you don’t overkill your skin. (via Veria)
9. Pedi-ReadyFeet: If you are on your feet all the time, this food scrub is perfect for you. Pineapples, as we know, are a great exfoliator and can help get rid of any dry skin and cracks on your feet. After one use, it should break down the dead skin and help flight inflammation and swelling. (via Setting For Four)
10. Exfoliated Skin: Pineapples are the perfect exfoliator. You can directly use slices of them all over your skin while you are in the shower, or use this body scrub for a lasting glow. Using pineapples to exfoliate will stimulate the collagen production all over your body. (via Hello Natural)
11. Clearer Complexion: Another benefit of using pineapples topically is how fast they can get rid of acne. The bromelain enzymes helps in acne treatments and rids the skin of blotchiness. When used topically, it naturally unclogs pores and dissolves blackheads. Use this scrub for 15 minutes to get rid of acne scars. The ascorbic acid in pineapples will make the scars slowly fade. (via Hello Natural)
How do you use pineapples for your everyday beauty? Tell us in the comments below!