11 Reasons You Should Add Pineapples to Your Beauty Routine
Pineapples: You can grill the heck out of them, use them in a upside-down cake or make a mean piña colada for those happiest hours of all. It’s the fruit of summer, and it’s time to reap all its benefits for beauty. So, if you like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain, use these tips on why and how to incorporate pineapples into your everyday beauty routine.
1. Healthy Teeth + Gums: With high amounts of vitamin C, eating slices of pineapples strengthens the gums, which keeps our teeth healthy and strong. Not only does pineapple whiten teeth, but the enzyme bromelain keeps plaque away and helps fight gingivitis. (via Martha Stewart)
2. Youthful Skin: If you are looking for a natural way to slow down the aging process, pineapple is your best friend. They’re loaded with antioxidants and alpha-hydroxy acids, which fight skin-damaging free radicals. Create this pineapple and mango face mask to soak up all these benefits. (via Move Nourish Believe)
3. Fewer Wrinkles and Warts: When you apply pineapple juice directly to your face (for no more than 5-10 minutes!), it can ward off moles, warts and blemishes. Don’t worry if you have sensitive skin — the vitamin C gives skin a healing touch. Pineapples also reduce the sight of wrinkles due to their large amounts of bromelain. If you want a deep-cleaning effect, DIY this scrub for wrinkle-free skin. (via Brit + Co)
4. Soft Lips: When it comes to pineapples and lips, it can be a tricky little game. For some, the acidity doesn’t bother them. For others, it can be too painful. Whether you use a natural pineapple slice to exfoliate your lips, or this lip scrub, make sure you wash away the pineapple juice within five minutes to prevent the acidity from burning you. (via Briarmuse)
5. Fewer Dark Spots: Fruits that are high in enzymes, like pineapples, are perfect to brighten and soften skin when used topically. Whether you crush it into a paste or use pineapple juice directly with a cotton ball, it will help get rid of the dark spots on your face for subtle, lighter skin. (via The 36th Avenue)
6. Healthy Hair: Do you panic after taking a shower when it seems like Chewbacca joined you last minute? Well, panic no more! Just by consuming pineapples, you are strengthening your hair follicles. The large amount of vitamin C and antioxidants that fight free radicals will improve their elasticity and thickness by making them more resistant to breakage. If you don’t feel like eating pineapples, use this shampoo as a great substitute for stronger, healthier hair. (via Lush)
7. Healthy Cuticles and Nails: If you are the type of person that constantly has dry hands, then try using a pineapple paste to heal your cracked cuticles and nails. Nails are usually brittle due to vitamin deficiency. By eating pineapples, you are already healing your nails from within. You can also use a cotton ball full of pineapple juice to rub all over the tips of your fingers for beautiful soft nails and cuticles. (via Divine Caroline)
8. Firm, Flexible Skin: Pineapple juice is simply amazing. It synthesizes collagen, which creates firm, flexible skin. Vitamin C aids in cell and tissue repair to keep you looking young. You can also directly rub pineapples over your face to speed up the process. Just rinse afterwards to get rid of the acidic juices. Repeat this treatment every three days so you don’t overkill your skin. (via Veria)
9. Pedi-ReadyFeet: If you are on your feet all the time, this food scrub is perfect for you. Pineapples, as we know, are a great exfoliator and can help get rid of any dry skin and cracks on your feet. After one use, it should break down the dead skin and help flight inflammation and swelling. (via Setting For Four)
10. Exfoliated Skin: Pineapples are the perfect exfoliator. You can directly use slices of them all over your skin while you are in the shower, or use this body scrub for a lasting glow. Using pineapples to exfoliate will stimulate the collagen production all over your body. (via Hello Natural)
11. Clearer Complexion: Another benefit of using pineapples topically is how fast they can get rid of acne. The bromelain enzymes helps in acne treatments and rids the skin of blotchiness. When used topically, it naturally unclogs pores and dissolves blackheads. Use this scrub for 15 minutes to get rid of acne scars. The ascorbic acid in pineapples will make the scars slowly fade. (via Hello Natural)
How do you use pineapples for your everyday beauty? Tell us in the comments below!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)