They say dreams don’t come true, but they were wrong — the pizza donut has arrived. Brunch-goers everywhere get to experience the best of both worlds (late-night snacking and breakfast), all rolled into one. It’s right here waiting for you!
Adapted from Kirbie’s Cravings
- 1 gallon vegetable oil
- 2 cans pizza dough
- pizza or Alfredo sauce (or both!)
- shredded mozzarella
- pizza toppings of your choice
- Heat oil in a deep pot or pan suitable for deep-frying until it reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll out pizza dough, and cut out circles for donuts using biscuit cutter or mason jar.
- In the center of each biscuit circle, add in about 1 tablespoon cheese and 1 tablespoon toppings of your choice like pepperoni, olives, and chopped bell pepper. No sauce here; you don’t want the dough to open up in the fryer. Wrap the edges of the dough on top of each other and fully pinch the edges closed to form a large donut hole.
- Drop your donuts into the pan. Fry about three at a time for consistency. When the dough looks golden brown, flip, and let the donut fry a little longer. You’ll want to make sure the dough cooks all the way through.
- Let the donuts drain onto a paper towel, but you’ll want to add cheese and toppings while donuts are hot so the cheese gets nice and melty.
- Fill your piping bag with the sauce of your choosing, and inject your donuts with about 1 tablespoon sauce each. Top with more cheese, and pop in a toaster oven until cheese is melty. If your donuts need a refresh, you can pop them into the toaster oven for an easy re-heat, or *cheesy* re-heat.
For more incredible recipes, visit Brit + Co on Pinterest.
Photography: Ryan Shelley
Food Stylist: Alicia Deal