12 Reasons to Fall in Love With Potato Soup
When sunny autumn afternoons turn to freezing winter nights, there are few things better than a hot meal to take the cold edge off (okay, and maybe a hot toddy). Although a homemade meal might be just what the doctor ordered, few of us have the time or the energy to get a fancy dinner on the table after work. Weekday warriors, meet your new best friend: potato soup. Potato soups are filling, creamy and inexpensive, and provide the ultimate blank slate for any flavor combo you can imagine. Check out our favorite recipes below and get ready to fire up that stock pot.
1. Creamy Ham, Potato and Corn Chowder: If you love roasted ham but never know how to handle the leftovers, this is your answer. The sweetness of the corn complements the salty ham and bacon like they were made for each other. (via Cooking Classy)
2. Thai Peanut Soup With Grilled Peanut Butter Croutons: You might be skeptical of this flavor combination, but we can assure you it works and it’s 100% addictive. Red curry and coconut milk round out the palate, and the grilled peanut butter sandwich croutons are genius. (via Half Baked Harvest)
4. Roasted Garlic Potato Soup: An entire head of garlic may sound aggressive, but try this recipe once and you’ll be a believer. Roasting the garlic mellows its sharpness and gives it an almost creamy texture. (via Little Spice Jar)
5. 5-Ingredient Potato Soup: This may be the easiest soup you’ll ever make. It uses store-bought frozen hashbrowns and Old Bay seasoning to cut down your prep and help you get dinner on the table in no time. (via Gimme Some Oven)
6. Spicy Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup: This soup has so much going on, we don’t know where to start. The heat from the sausage and slight bitterness from the greens come together in complete harmony. This super satisfying dish is the perfect end to a day in the cold or snow. (via The Candid Appetite)
7. Crockpot Beer Cheese Soup With Potatoes: The name really says it all with this one. Throw the ingredients in your crockpot and forget about it. You’ll remember when it’s time for dinner and the kitchen smells uh-mAz-ing. (via Crockpot Gourmet)
8. Roasted Acorn Squash and Sweet Potato Soup: Garam masala is a popular spice mix from Northern India that usually includes cloves, nutmeg, cumin, peppercorns, cardamom and cinnamon. Squash and sweet potatoes are a healthy vehicle for this warm blend of seasonings, with an extra zing from fresh ginger. (via Blogging Over Thyme)
9. Loaded Potato Soup With Creamy Cheese, Bacon and Jalapeno: This is like a twice-baked and fully loaded potato skin in soup form. It’s cozier and more indulgent than ever. Don’t skimp on the toppings — they’re the best part. (via The Wicked Noodle)
11. Broccoli Cheese Potato Soup: What happens when you cross velvety potato soup with a classic broccoli and cheddar recipe? You get this creamy, dreamy version. A handful of chopped carrots adds color and a few extra vitamins. (via Cooking Classy)
Do you love potato soup as much as we do? Tell us your favorite recipe in the comments below.