23 Preserves Recipes JAMmed With Flavor
Getting ready to hunker down and hibernate? Take on these recipes and settle in! You can totally hold on to the tastes of warm weather in any season by making some preserves. Save practically anything you want for anytime you want. There’s even a strong possibility you can use an adorable mason jar to do it. What are you waiting for? Throw on some tunes and get ready to jam, dry and pickle.
1. Dried Orange Slices: Keep dried oranges handy and add to tea, cocoa or cake anytime you want. This recipes from Anula’s Kitchen makes drying super simple. Plus, your house will smell amazing while they’re in the oven. (via Anula’s Kitchen)
2. Strawberry Jalapeño Jam: Bagels and toast become very exciting with the sweet and spicy combo of strawberries and jalapeños. Consider it a surefire way to wake yourself up in the morning. (via Yea Yea Pueblo)
3. Applesauce: Applesauce is and always will be a pantry staple. It makes a great snack and is also clutch when you want to save some calories while baking. Save yourself a few bucks by making your own at home. (via Happy Money Saver)
4. Pickled Chard Stems: You may sauté or blanch your rainbow chard on the regular, but what else can be done with those beautifully hued stems? Caraway seeds, shallots and brown mustard brine the stems for a snack you’ll be stoked to much on. (via Bon Appetit)
6. Strawberry Peach Jam: Here’s a sweet treat that’ll liven up biscuits, English muffins and anything else you’d want to slather up. Two summertime staples get together to make this vibrant jam. Save it for when you need a warming pick-me-up. (via Something Swanky)
8. Roasted Red Peppers: Red peppers make a fab topping for sandwiches, but they’re also great on pizza, in pasta and pretty much anywhere you’d like a touch of sweetness. Make your own with this recipe from A Spicy Perspective and have them on hand for any meal needing an accessory. (via A Spicy Perspective)
9. Mixed Berry Preserves: If you love berries and can’t single out one you like best, this might be the jar of your dreams. Blackberries, raspberries and strawberries all come together for a super-fruity mix of preserves that will no doubt be delightful. No need to pick favorites here, especially when they’re all so good together. (via Centsational Girl)
13. Pickled Jalapeños: Spicy, slightly sour and addicting — these pickled jalapeños will be your go-to garnish or topping when you’re looking to add a kick to your lunch. (via Peanut Butter and Peppers)
14. Boozy Bacon Jam: Bacon lovers, rejoice. There is a jam for you. If you can’t handle missing out on a dose of carnivore candy, try this recipe that boasts the use of bacon, brown sugar and bourbon — a beautiful combination if we ever did taste one. (via Spoon Fork Bacon)
15. Roasted Peppers in Olive Oil: Bottle up a rainbow of peppers by roasting any bells on hand and preserving them in olive oil. Use them for antipasto salads, panini sandwiches or wrapped around a ball of mozzarella. (via Foodie With Family)
17. Orange Grand Marnier Skillet Jam: Toast this skillet jam featuring Grand Marnier and bright citrus flavors. This is a great choice for a boozy weekend brunch with friends or breakfast in bed. (via Savory Simple)
18. Apricot Lavender Jam: Take a trip to France with mild apricot coupled with floral notes from calming lavender. This recipe has a romantic feel to it; consider packing up a picnic basket and bringing this along for an outdoor date. (via Lavender and Lovage)
19. Herbs Frozen in Olive Oil: Preserve your herbs and save on cooking prep time by freezing fresh herbs + olive oil in ice cube trays. When you’re ready to fire up the pan, drop in your oil cube and enjoy the aroma of those herbs waking back up. (via The Kitchn)
20. Blueberry Jam: We love a classic, and we only love them more when two ingredients are all you need. Blueberries + sugar = all you need, friends. Side note: We’re betting this would be delicious as a mix-in with Greek yogurt. (via A Pretty Life in the Suburbs)
21. Bread and Butter Pickles: Make slightly sweet pickle chips with this recipe. They’re a kid-pleaser, and they’re great on sandwiches and burgers. Fun fact: The trick to getting them extra crunchy is letting the sliced cucumbers rest with a smattering of salt. (via White on Rice Couple)
23. Cranberry Pineapple Mango Preserves: Add some tropical tastes to the inherent tartness in cranberry preserves. Bring this one to Thanksgiving, and get everyone excited about a new tradition. (via Averie Cooks)
Did we leave a good taste in your mouth with these picks? What’s your favorite take on preserves? Drop us a line in the comments!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.