8 Salicylic Acid Cleansers for Your Softest, Clearest Skin
If you’re like us, whenever a breakout occurs, a million questions begin to surface. Have I been using the wrong cleanser? The wrong moisturizer? Am I not washing my face enough? While plenty of factors — including how much makeup you wear, the type of makeup you use, and how quickly you wash your face post-sweat — can lead to breakouts, a surefire way to stop them in their tracks is with a little salicylic acid. The well-known beta hydroxy acid helps exfoliate all skin types by dissolving acne-causing, pore-clogging buildup. While there are dozens of acne spot treatments on the market, don’t wait for a blemish to pop up but to get proactive with a salicylic acid cleanser instead. You’ll be able to cater to your acne-prone complexion both before and after breakouts arise. And that means less pimples will appear over time. Just beware that, even though all skin types can benefit from salicylic acid, there might be a little tingling (and even stinging) along the way — especially if you have sensitive skin. The sensation is totally normal; however, if you begin to notice long-lasting irritation or dryness, you should consult your dermatologist. (Photo via Robin Lynne Gibson/ Getty)
To help you achieve your softest, clearest skin, ahead we share eight of our favorite salicylic acid facial cleansers that can be used both morning and night. Keep scrolling to take your pick from cream, foam, gel, and wipe formulas.
1. Go-To Properly Clean ($24): Light as air, this fluffy foam wash rids the skin’s surface of impurities while maintaining pH levels to leave skin looking and feeling soft and glowy. And, as an added bonus, the packaging is cute (and cheeky) AF.
2. Aveeno Clear Complexion Cream Cleanser with Salicylic Acid ($7): Help clear and prevent breakouts with this creamy, hypoallergenic cleanser. Formulated with salicylic acid and without soap, the gentle wash will help keep blemishes at bay without irritating or over-drying your skin.
3. InstaNatural Acne Face Wash ($18): Salicylic acid and tea tree oil combine to treat and soothe acne-prone skin. The result? Purified pores, fewer blackheads, and a radiant complexion.
4. Yes To Tomatoes Blemish Clearing Facial Wipes ($5): If you don’t have time for a traditional lather and rinse, reach for one of these acne-fighting wipes instead. Made with salicylic acid, each swipe will help unclog pores, mattify oil, and prevent future blemishes.
5. Clean & Clear Oil-Free Deep Action Cream Facial Cleanser ($5): This cooling, oil-free formula works to reduce sebum production while removing the buildup of makeup, dirt, and excess oil.
6. Image Skin Care Clear Cell Salicylic Gel Cleanser ($19): Featuring a gel-to-foam formula, this fast-acting cleanser lathers away makeup and impurities without stripping skin of much-needed moisture.
7. Neutrogena Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Fighting Face Wash ($6): This acne-fighting, salicylic acid-powered wash deep-cleans pores to help address acne before it emerges.
8. Beauty Bioscience The Balance pH Balancing Gel Cleanser ($35): Treat your face to this gentle all-in-one gel formula to help restore skin’s pH to a healthy 5.5. Maintaining this level will help keep moisture levels balanced while safe-guarding the protective acid mantle (a fine, slightly acidic film on the surface of the skin that acts as a barrier against germs and bacteria) that helps keep skin safe against free radicals.
Will you switch to a salicylic acid cleanser? Tell us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.