Oysters are a little bit like eggs. They can be served so many different ways. There’s the classic raw oyster, salty and delicious. There’s the barbecued oyster, so tasty with toppings. And then there’s the oyster Rockefeller, baked with cheesy deliciousness. Today we’re partnering with LAY’S® Wavy and Top Chef winner Stephanie Izard to bring you a new amazingly delightful way to serve oysters: breaded in chips and deep fried. Talk about a delectable combo. We couldn’t get enough. Forget about serving dessert — these oysters are like a dessert and an appetizer in one.
Not only are they deep fried, but they’ve also got some special toppings from Chef Izard.
Pickle some peppers to top your oysters.
– 1/2 cup Fresno peppers, sliced and seeds removed
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 2 tablespoons sugar
– 1/3 cup champagne vinegar
1. Bring vinegar, salt and sugar to a boil.
2. Pour over sliced peppers and allow to come to room temperature.
Slice your peppers into thin strips and remove the seeds. Then add vinegar, salt and sugar to a small sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Pour the liquid over your peppers and let it come to room temperature.
Next we’re getting saucy with BBQ Mayo. So good.
– 2 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
– 4 tablespoons quality mayo
1. Whisk together in a bowl.
This is so easy. All you do is whisk the mayo and BBQ sauce together, and voila! You’ve got delicious sauce for your oysters.
Okay, time to put on your ove’ glove for some deep frying.
– 12 fresh medium oysters
– 2 cups LAY’S® Wavy Hickory BBQ Flavored Potato Chips, finely crushed
– 12 pieces Pickled Fresno Chiles (see recipe above)
– BBQ Mayo (see recipe above)
– 4 cups canola or rice bran oil
1. Add oil to a small pot so that it reaches at least 3 inches high.
2. Slowly heat the oil to 350 degrees, using a candy thermometer to get the exact temperature.
3. Crush the LAY’S® Wavy Hickory BBQ Flavored Potato Chips finely by placing them in a baking dish and crushing them with the bottom of a glass until they are fine pieces the size of sesame seeds.
4. Toss the oysters in the crushed LAY’S® Wavy Hickory BBQ Flavored Potato Chips.
5. Gently add them to the oil four at a time for one minute. Remove from fryer to a paper towel-lined plate.
6. Serve each oyster with a squeeze of BBQ Mayo and a slice of pickled fresno pepper on top.
First, add oil to a small pot. You’re going to need a lot! Fill the pot until you have about three inches of oil.
Now it’s time to prepare the chips. Place LAY’S® Wavy Hickory BBQ Flavored Potato Chips in a baking dish and then use a small cup or bowl with a flat bottom to crush them into sesame-size bites.
To bread the oysters, roll them in the crushed chips. Do you need to shuck your oysters? Not sure how? Here’s a tutorial :)
Slowly heat the oil to 350 degrees. PSA: hot oil will burn you, so please be very careful not to get any water in the oil! Place the breaded oysters in the oil, four at a time. Let them cook for about one minute, allowing them to get crispy. Remove the cooked oysters from the oil and put them on a plate lined with paper towels.
Fix them up with a dollop of BBQ Mayo and a Fresno pepper.
These guys are going to go fast, so be sure to eat one before you offer them to your guests!
How do you like to cook oysters? Do you have any awesome recipes? Share with us in the comments below.
This post is a collaboration with LAY’S® Wavy.