No Vacation Days Left? Relaxing Staycation Ideas for 5 Major Cities
With only a few weeks of summer left, we are totally trying to squeeze in as many frozen cocktails, beach days, pool parties and mini vacays as possible before it’s all over. That’s why a staycation is the perfect way to get a last-minute, relaxing vacation without really having to go anywhere. Whether you’re looking to cash out on some of the PTO you have saved up or just want to have one last weekend rendezvous before the season is over, here are some staycation tips and ideas for five major cities: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and Austin.
San Francisco, CA
1. Good Hotel: If you’re looking for a place to relax and recharge, the Good Hotel is a Bay Area gem. This eco-friendly hotel nestled in the SoMA district is furnished with mostly reclaimed and recycled products, and includes amenities such as a photo booth, free bike use, a fitness center and heated pool.
2. The Japanese Tea Garden: Located in the heart of Golden Gate Park, this is said to be the oldest Japanese Garden in the United States. The garden features many classical elements such as stone lanterns, tranquil koi ponds, native Japanese plants, stone paths and a Zen garden, making it the perfect place to meditate, break out some yoga or draw some creative inspiration from. (Photo via Alberto Bastos/Flickr Creative Commons)
3. Foreign Cinema: For food and film lovers, Foreign Cinema is a must. The restaurant offers a Mediterranean-inspired menu for dinner and brunch on the weekends. Enjoy your meal while viewing your favorite foreign and independent films on the restaurant’s industrial-chic outdoor courtyard.
4. Chambers Eat + Drink: This low-key bar and restaurant offers a seasonal menu and delicious craft cocktails. Get inspired by their lounge’s vintage-meets-mid-century decor, or enjoy a relaxing drink poolside.
5. SenSpa: For the ultimate staycation relaxation, treat yo’ self to a spa day. SenSpa has an array of services from detox facials to a Buddha Belly massage for expecting mamas. Plus, they have not one but three relaxation rooms for ultimate bliss. (Photo via SenSpa)
Los Angeles, CA
1. Historic Loft Cottage Cabin: This quaint little cottage built by none other than THE Charlie Chaplin is nestled away from the hustle and bustle of L.A. life, but its central location boasts a maximum of 20 minutes to drive to any part of the city. With the feeling of a relaxing European cottage overlooking a gorgeous lit courtyard, this particular room has been home to greats like Rudolph Valentino.
2. Ace Hotel Rooftop Pool and Bar: Located downtown in the former United Artists Building, the rooftop bar at the Ace Hotel offers picturesque views of the Los Angeles skyline and incredible craft cocktails. Grab a drink before catching a concert or movie screening at the theater located downstairs.
3. Beverly Hot Springs: This all-natural hot spring is a small, relaxing traditional Korean bath house you’ll totally want to try. The minerals in the water help to stimulate circulation and relieve fatigue. The spa also offers an array of body treatments, facials and massages that are sure to leave you feeling rejuvenated and refreshed.
4. Cliff’s Edge: Located in Silverlake in the heart of Sunset Junction, the jungle-like patio at Cliff’s Edge will make you feel like you’re on a tropical vacation as you enjoy their seasonal menu items. Even if you’re not hungry, you can enjoy one of their to-die-for cocktails on the patio as you take in the sunny L.A. weather.
5. The Huntington Library: A paradise within L.A. County, The Huntington Library sits on 120 acres full of lush gardens and art galleries, making it the perfect daytime getaway for those looking for some visual and creative stimulation. (Photo via @thehuntingtonlibrary)
New York, NY
1. The Ludlow: Edgy and eclectic, yet luxurious and comfortable, the rooms at the Ludlow are ideal for anyone looking for the ultimate home away from home. The rooms feature spacious sitting areas and a cozy bathtub. The terraces overlooking the city are the ultimate relaxation station. Head downstairs and grab a drink in the gorgeous Lobby Lounge and Garden, or step outside and explore all the Lower East Side has to offer. (Photo via The Ludlow Hotel)
2. YeloSpa: Recharge at this super modern, colorful day spa. Whether you’re look for a massage, facial or body wrap, you’re sure to find something that will make you feel fantastic without totally breaking the bank.
3. La Marina: Are you looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city? Located right along the Hudson River, La Marina has a breathtaking waterfront view that you won’t want to leave. The casual menu features an array of surf-and-turf dishes and delicious cocktails, making it a relaxing atmosphere for your gorgeous sunset dinner.
4. Rooftop Lounge at Pod 39: This is hailed as one of the best rooftop bars in NYC, and we can see why. With its super cute decor, spectacular views and specialty drinks, this space will have you wanting to gaze over New York all day long. (Photo via Pod Hotels)
5. Brooklyn Botanic Gardens: Take a stroll and relax in the historic Brooklyn Botanic Gardens. The gardens have been cultivated since the early 1800s and are the home to a wide range of Japanese artifacts, a lily pond and a plaza filled with cherry blossoms. (Photo via @brooklynbotanic)
1. Gypsy Caravan in East Austin: If you’re looking for an outdoorsy adventure without actually having to head outdoors, check out this super cute airstream for rent on Airbnb. The small space is located in a garden oasis with a hammock and lounge furniture. It’s in East Austin and close to all the downtown excitement.
2. The Picnic: For adventurous foodies, this food truck trailer park will hit the spot. BYOB as you explore some of the finest food trucks Austin has to offer.
3. Travaasa Spa: For the ultimate in staycation relaxation, Travaasa Spa & Resort is the perfect all-inclusive local getaway. If offers an extensive selection of guided activities, personalized spa and beauty treatments and fine dining. Travasa is located in the Texas Hill Country, which offers gorgeous hiking and outdoor adventures sans the camping trip packing and planning.
4. Barton Creek Greenbelt: Hiking along this creek will make it easy to forget you’re in a huge city. The 800 acres of land are open to both hikers and bikers and offer rugged terrain, swimming holes and rock climbing. (Photo via Kelly Bolinger/Flickr Creative Commons)
1. Thompson Chicago Hotel: Relax in the luxurious yet affordable rooms at the Thompson Hotel Chicago and take your pick of a lake or city view. Grab some afternoon aperitifs and cocktails at Salone Nico and then explore all the neighborhood has to offer, including the Museum of Contemporary Art, Lake Michigan and a legendary nightlife scene.
2. The Boarding House: One of the chicest restaurants in Chicago, The Boarding House offers both a regular and vegetarian menu that is out of this world. You’ll be able to look out at all the cool Chicago architecture, that is, if you can take your eyes off of the gorgeous chandelier above your table. (Photo via The Boarding House)
3. Geneva: Just an hour outside of the city, this quaint little town provides the quickest escape from the city. Stroll along the Fox River and explore countless shops and restaurants with patios made for waterfront drinking and dining. (Photo via John C. Hansen/Flickr Creative Commons)
4. Ruby Room: This day spa has everything you need for the ultimate pampering sesh, from massages to hair stylists and facials. It also serves as a space for meditation and energy healing, as they offer chakra cleansing and a crystal bar. (Photo via @RubyRoom)
What are your favorite staycation spots? Let us know in the comments below!