Taylor Swift’s New Album “Reputation” Is Here and the Reactions Are Priceless
It’s been almost three months since Taylor Swift reemerged from hiding and started teasing her new album, Reputation. In the time since, we’ve heard four singles and seen two videos — and spent a LOT of time theorizing about what, exactly, they all mean. Now, the full album is finally here, and as expected, people dropped what they were doing to listen to it the second it came out.
As soon as Swift made Reputation available on download services, talk about the album immediately took over social media. The reaction from critics so far has been overall favorable, and to fans, naturally, Swift can do no wrong. Here are some of the best reactions so far.
ITS EARLY I AM NOT READY
— squidney 🐍 (@ouatfewmistakes) November 10, 2017
1. NOT, It Turns Out, “…Ready for It.” The singer dropped the album a little earlier than its expected midnight release, and it caught some fans off guard. “IT’S EARLY I AM NOT READY,” one fan tweeted, while another expected to have already finished writing a paper that was due at same time as the release — only to start panicking.
2. The Taylor Takeover: This GIF from the “…Ready for It?” video feels so, so accurate.
PLEASE DO NOT TALK TO ME WHILE I AM LISTENING TO #REPUTATION.
— Alex Goldschmidt (@alexandergold) November 10, 2017
3. Respecting Reputation Time: Some people requested complete and utter silence while listening for the first time, which we totally get.
#reputation is 1989’s cool, sexier older sister that likes to get blackout drunk on weekends, but still gets straight A’s in all of her classes
— Rachel (@13swift1989) November 10, 2017
4.Apples and Oranges: Naturally, people compared Reputation to Tay’s last album, 1989, describing it as the “cool, sexier older sister that likes to get blackout drunk on weekends, but still gets straight A’s in all of her classes.”
My Favourites things about the 1989 era:
Taylor mocking the media by mocking herself
Taylor's short hair
The music videos
Grammy 2016 speech
— #Getaway Car (@ColdAsYou__) November 9, 2017
5. Out With the Old: Fans even got the hashtag #Goodbye1989 trending, highlighting their favorite moments from the past few years and giving the monumental album a proper sendoff.
— Charlotte Warwick (@c_warwick) November 10, 2017
6. The Good and the Bad: Reputation has its harder-edged songs and its softer ballads, and fans are embracing ALL of it.
— lanzo (@babyhaim) November 10, 2017
7. The Baby Haim Seal of Approval: The song that was so sexy it reportedly caused Swift’s parents to leave the room is on repeat for youngest Haim sister Alana.
… it doesn't NOT sound like Witness 🙊
— Lindsay Zoladz (@lindsayzoladz) November 9, 2017
8. Shots. Fired: Some are comparing the album to Katy Perry’s Witness, a HUGE diss given the long-standing rivalry between the pop stars.
My body rejects Sheeran on this track tho
— Craig Bro Dude (@CraigSJ) November 9, 2017
Ok I’m only on track 5 and I’ve had to say to myself “no THIS is my favorite” 3 times already #reputation
— Kelly Tancredi (@KELoggs3) November 10, 2017
10. Nonstop Hits: “I’m only on track five and I’ve had to say to myself, ‘no THIS is my favorite’ three times already,” one fan said.
Person: “I don’t like #Reputation”
— Taylor Swift | FOTP (@FOTPTaylorSwift) November 10, 2017
11. No Time for Haters: True Swifties are NOT here for people who aren’t into the album.
"IF A MAN TALK SHITS THEN I OWE HIM NOTHING" #Reputation
TAYLOR SWIFT SAYING SHIT AMEN
— James (@LinsonJamess) November 10, 2017
12. A Newer, Edgier Taylor: Nevermind the killer “If a man talks s**t then I owe him nothing” lyric — TAYLOR SWORE and fans are hung up on it.
She ended the tradition of the 5th song being sad, she didn’t revive the tradition of having a song named after the album, she doesn’t have a 2AM or 4AM reference, & I’m hearing that there aren’t hidden messages in the booklets. The old Taylor really is dead y’all she warned us
— Rachel (@13swift1989) November 10, 2017
13. Old Taylor, Bye: She told us the old Taylor was dead, and the more Reputation reveals itself, the truer it gets.
— ISMAEL MORIN (@ismaelkingmg19) November 10, 2017
14. Our Weekend Plans: Honestly same.
What do you think of Reputation? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Photo via Larry Busacca/Getty)