The Edit: How to Upgrade Your Basics in 2017
Basics are the building blocks upon which street-style-star wardrobes are built. And while basics have a reputation for being, well, basic, snoozy separates and accessories aren’t exactly going to get you noticed. Translation: It’s officially time to upgrade your closet essentials. And don’t worry: If vampy fashion trends and neon winter styles aren’t your thing, there are plenty of ways to turn heads without making a scene (think: sharp silhouettes, architectural details and cool twists on classic design elements). This week’s edition of The Edit has sights set on giving your arsenal of basics a boost, so ready that pointer finger and get to clickin’.
1. Pixie Market White Ruffled Sleeve Top ($82): Plain white tees are about to get WAY more interesting thanks to bold ruffles and a boxy silhouette. So what does that mean for your wardrobe? Basically, you never have to worry about your tee-and-jeans routine feeling sub par ever again. Day or night, this bad boy packs plenty of It-girl vibes.
2. Waven Johan Patchwork Longline Kimono Coat ($151): When you’re ready to shed your hot-and-heavy outerwear for layers on the lighter side, this patchwork stunner is your best bet. Layer it over printed flares and a rib knit sweater for a throwback look, or take it for a test drive with patent trousers and an edgy architectural bag.
3. Topshop Pleated Rib Knitted Midi Dress ($80): Hello, work dress of our dreams. Desk-to-date-night dressing becomes a cinch when you style it alongside sleek ankle boots and gemstone drop earrings. The only thing missing? An earthy smokey eye and berry pout that looks drop dead gorgeous day or night.
5. Zara Multiposition Leather Bucket Bag ($119): New year, new bag, baby. We’re big fans of pieces that know how to pull a little double duty, and this structural handbag is no exception. Whether you sling it over your shoulder or rock it as a tote, it’s guaranteed to take your ensemble to the next level.
6. H&M Conscious Straight Regular Jeans ($40): Denim is taking a trip down memory lane this year, so skip the skinnies and stick these classic straight jeans at the center of your ensemble. Dress ’em up with slingback pumps and a jacquard blazer, or dial them down for the weekend with a souped-up sweatshirt and faux fur coat.
7. Üterque Jumpsuit With Contrast Belt ($159): Your LBD days are officially over. Instead of blending in with the crowd, assert your sartorial prowess by stepping out in this scene-stealing jumpsuit again. Layer it over a simple turtleneck or sheer blouse RN, then rock it solo with a sharp pair of stilettos and a sassy red pout once the temps start to climb.
9. Reformation Sorrenti Pant ($178): Suiting stripes dominated the runway during the Spring/Summer ’17 shows, and we can’t think of a better way to slay those boss-lady goals this year than with these power pants on hand. Off-duty, they’re the perfect match for your arsenal of band tees and patent ankle boots, but they’ll straight-up stun at the office with a down-to-business blouse and a can-do ‘tude.
10. Free People Open Dolman Jacket ($148): A tailored black blazer can inspire that forever kind of love, but that won’t stop you from living life in technicolor. With pops of pink, this boxy dolman jacket is the hot ticket your work wardrobe has been missing. Expect to be the topic of conversation by the water cooler when you layer it over high-waisted trousers, metallic slides and sleek drop earrings.
11. Eri + Ali Mayfair Midi Skirt ($168): You really can’t fault a classic black pencil skirt, but we’d still rather wear this flirty tiered midi any day. Bust it out for date night, pairing it with chandelier earrings and a vintage clutch FTW.
12. Cluse La Roche Leather Strap Marble Watch, 38mm ($179): Despite good intentions to get to work — and just about everywhere else — on time, things just never seem to pan out. While a chic timepiece doesn’t actually guarantee you’ll change your tardy ways, the genuine marble and sleek leather strap on this sophisticated watch are just too good to pass up.
13. Mango Textured Wool Blend Coat ($120): A girl’s got to have options, right? Bright outerwear is the ultimate remedy to mid-winter wardrobe blahs and seemingly endless strains of gray days. This bottle green beauty is no different. Dare to be different by teaming it with bold neon hues or high-shine metallic pieces.
14. Urban Outfitters Futuristic Monocut Round Sunglasses ($24): Rims are overrated. Usher your throwing-shade game into cutting-edge territory by adding these monocut sunnies to your sartorial routine, stat. The only thing missing? A don’t-mess bomber jacket and patchwork denim.
15. COS Shirt With Lace-Embroidered Hem ($99): Put that style know-how on show by putting this embroidered button-down at the heart of your on-the-job #OOTD. The graphic nature of the lace panel lends an otherwise understated piece an ultra-modern feel. Further the fashion-forward vibe with ankle trousers and flatform Oxfords.
16. Zara Tri-Color Ballerinas ($26): Laying low doesn’t have to mean saying sayonara to your style. Slip on these color-block ballerinas for an early morning coffee date or an afternoon of errand running and watch as everything from joggers to bohemian maxi dresses take on a street style-approved edge.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.