The Edit: How to Upgrade Your Basics in 2017
Basics are the building blocks upon which street-style-star wardrobes are built. And while basics have a reputation for being, well, basic, snoozy separates and accessories aren’t exactly going to get you noticed. Translation: It’s officially time to upgrade your closet essentials. And don’t worry: If vampy fashion trends and neon winter styles aren’t your thing, there are plenty of ways to turn heads without making a scene (think: sharp silhouettes, architectural details and cool twists on classic design elements). This week’s edition of The Edit has sights set on giving your arsenal of basics a boost, so ready that pointer finger and get to clickin’.
1. Pixie Market White Ruffled Sleeve Top ($82): Plain white tees are about to get WAY more interesting thanks to bold ruffles and a boxy silhouette. So what does that mean for your wardrobe? Basically, you never have to worry about your tee-and-jeans routine feeling sub par ever again. Day or night, this bad boy packs plenty of It-girl vibes.
2. Waven Johan Patchwork Longline Kimono Coat ($151): When you’re ready to shed your hot-and-heavy outerwear for layers on the lighter side, this patchwork stunner is your best bet. Layer it over printed flares and a rib knit sweater for a throwback look, or take it for a test drive with patent trousers and an edgy architectural bag.
3. Topshop Pleated Rib Knitted Midi Dress ($80): Hello, work dress of our dreams. Desk-to-date-night dressing becomes a cinch when you style it alongside sleek ankle boots and gemstone drop earrings. The only thing missing? An earthy smokey eye and berry pout that looks drop dead gorgeous day or night.
5. Zara Multiposition Leather Bucket Bag ($119): New year, new bag, baby. We’re big fans of pieces that know how to pull a little double duty, and this structural handbag is no exception. Whether you sling it over your shoulder or rock it as a tote, it’s guaranteed to take your ensemble to the next level.
6. H&M Conscious Straight Regular Jeans ($40): Denim is taking a trip down memory lane this year, so skip the skinnies and stick these classic straight jeans at the center of your ensemble. Dress ’em up with slingback pumps and a jacquard blazer, or dial them down for the weekend with a souped-up sweatshirt and faux fur coat.
7. Üterque Jumpsuit With Contrast Belt ($159): Your LBD days are officially over. Instead of blending in with the crowd, assert your sartorial prowess by stepping out in this scene-stealing jumpsuit again. Layer it over a simple turtleneck or sheer blouse RN, then rock it solo with a sharp pair of stilettos and a sassy red pout once the temps start to climb.
9. Reformation Sorrenti Pant ($178): Suiting stripes dominated the runway during the Spring/Summer ’17 shows, and we can’t think of a better way to slay those boss-lady goals this year than with these power pants on hand. Off-duty, they’re the perfect match for your arsenal of band tees and patent ankle boots, but they’ll straight-up stun at the office with a down-to-business blouse and a can-do ‘tude.
10. Free People Open Dolman Jacket ($148): A tailored black blazer can inspire that forever kind of love, but that won’t stop you from living life in technicolor. With pops of pink, this boxy dolman jacket is the hot ticket your work wardrobe has been missing. Expect to be the topic of conversation by the water cooler when you layer it over high-waisted trousers, metallic slides and sleek drop earrings.
11. Eri + Ali Mayfair Midi Skirt ($168): You really can’t fault a classic black pencil skirt, but we’d still rather wear this flirty tiered midi any day. Bust it out for date night, pairing it with chandelier earrings and a vintage clutch FTW.
12. Cluse La Roche Leather Strap Marble Watch, 38mm ($179): Despite good intentions to get to work — and just about everywhere else — on time, things just never seem to pan out. While a chic timepiece doesn’t actually guarantee you’ll change your tardy ways, the genuine marble and sleek leather strap on this sophisticated watch are just too good to pass up.
13. Mango Textured Wool Blend Coat ($120): A girl’s got to have options, right? Bright outerwear is the ultimate remedy to mid-winter wardrobe blahs and seemingly endless strains of gray days. This bottle green beauty is no different. Dare to be different by teaming it with bold neon hues or high-shine metallic pieces.
14. Urban Outfitters Futuristic Monocut Round Sunglasses ($24): Rims are overrated. Usher your throwing-shade game into cutting-edge territory by adding these monocut sunnies to your sartorial routine, stat. The only thing missing? A don’t-mess bomber jacket and patchwork denim.
15. COS Shirt With Lace-Embroidered Hem ($99): Put that style know-how on show by putting this embroidered button-down at the heart of your on-the-job #OOTD. The graphic nature of the lace panel lends an otherwise understated piece an ultra-modern feel. Further the fashion-forward vibe with ankle trousers and flatform Oxfords.
16. Zara Tri-Color Ballerinas ($26): Laying low doesn’t have to mean saying sayonara to your style. Slip on these color-block ballerinas for an early morning coffee date or an afternoon of errand running and watch as everything from joggers to bohemian maxi dresses take on a street style-approved edge.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.