These Are the Most Out-of-This-World Looks from the 2016 AMAs
As the last music awards show of the year, we’ve got some pretty high hopes for the AMAs tonight ― it certainly doesn’t hurt that the performers are top notch (we are SO here for anything from Lady Gaga’s “Joanne”) and Gigi Hadid and SNL’s Jay Pharoah are hosting — we have a feeling our girl’s gonna’ kill it.
1. Gigi Hadid: Host Gigi Hadid ditched the glitz and sequins many chose to don for tonight’s red carpet, opting instead for an off-the-shoulder, sheer-to-there lace Cavalli gown. Bonus? It could totally double as a doily instead when she’s done with it!
2. Keke Palmer:Scream Queen Keke gave us some serious sass in shades and a pink furry overcoat atop little else ― her two-piece chainmail Natalia Fedner ensemble appeared to be hanging by little more than a few threads. Fingers crossed that they hold throughout the show!
3. Laura Murano: Actress/singer Laura Murano gave Keke a run for her money, bringing some serious HEAT in what appears to be a suede getup featuring cut-outs, fringe and thigh-high boots.
4. Tinashe: Tinashe (AKA Britney Spears’s new video partner) threw us all for a loop in this sheer gauzy polka dot Michael Costello number with off-the-shoulder sleeves and a whole lotta’ flounce.
5. Noah Cyrus: Miley’s little sis Noah (who’s been totally twinning with her big sis as of late) also went the sheer route, albeit a far less salacious one than some of her peers — hmmm, maybe she IS different from Miley!
6. James Bey: James singlehandedly proved that red carpet fashion isn’t just for the ladies. In skinny jeans (are those velvet?), a fashionable fedora with flowing locks and a printed silver and black jacket, he was every bit as stylish as his female counterparts.
7. Lauren Elizabeth: Youtube star Lauren Elizabeth was among the classiest of the bunch, channeling old Hollywood glamour in a pastel pink slinky satin gown with a jeweled collar.
8. Lauren Giraldo: The OTHER Lauren on Youtube, Lauren Giraldo, looked like a Vegas showgirl in this glitzy bodysuit with its ballet pink train.
9. Danica McKellar: The Wonder Years star looked absolutely adorable in this lace romper with a perky updo, but it was a bit too laid-back for our liking.
10. Milla Jovavich: Milla showed the younger starlets how the red carpet’s done, rocking the sheer trend while keeping it 100 in this showstopping black Elie Saab frock with star embellishments.
11. Idina Menzel: The recently engaged Idina could’ve sung for The Little Mermaid instead of Frozen in this sheer embellished Thai Nguyen Atelier overlay with a mermaid-tail.
12. Bebe Rexha: Bebe got a little wild in a plunging animal print gown, thigh-high boots and a cut-to-there slit. Me-ow!
13. Bella + Dani Thorne: Bella and Dani showed off their matching rock ‘n’ roll ‘dos on the red carpet, with an androgynous dynamic going on to boot: Dani is dainty and feminine in a slinky silver gown while Bella takes the masculine role on with verve, forgoing a top for some added sass.
14. Kat Graham: Is Kat headed to an awards show or the beach in this sheer black fishnet Labourjoisie number? Given the heels, we’ll go with choice A, though it’s still a tough call.
15. Selena Gomez: The “Kill ‘Em With Kindess” singer debuted a far more mature look than we’re used to seeing from her, with a simple pulled-back pony and a plain fit-to-flare red Prada gown.
16. Rebecca Romijn: Rebecca got in on the sheer front on top, but kept it pure elegance on bottom with a navy taffeta tulle skirt.
17. Heidi Klum: It hasn’t been a great year for Heidi Klum re: fashion. First she totally let us down with her Halloween look, then she showed up tonight wearing… this. The metallic sequined pantsuit was bad enough, but the clown-esque bow-tie really put it over the edge. Our eyes!
18. Hailee Steinfeld: Hailee Steinfeld, on the other hand, NAILED the red carpet in a drapey belted Elie Saab romper with star embellishments and metallic threads. Hands down, our favorite look of the night.
19. Ariana Grande: Performer Ariana Grande donned a variation of her signature look, AKA her high pony, lace-scalloped bra and wide-leg pants by Alexander McQueen.
20. Chrissy Teigen: Girl, we love you, but there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. Yikes!
21. Teyana Taylor: Teyana Taylor’s breathtaking red carpet look is a total 180 from the minimal Flashdance threads she mesmerized the world in in Kanye West’s “Fade” video: In fact, if we didn’t love Hailee’s outfit so much, this might have been a contender for the number one spot.
Who do you think rocked the red carpet the hardest? Tell us over @BritandCo.
(Photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
Back in January, we introduced you to a feel-good cause to inspire your New Year's resolution: a walking challenge to help raise funds for the amazing cancer fighters at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I took part in the challenge with the Brit + Co team and ended up walking 105+ miles in January — it was awesome.
This spring, there's a new challenge on the horizon, The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Big Climb. The ask: On May 15, 2021, you can step up to take cancer down by committing to climb 1,311 steps, walking 3.2 miles, or doing 440 chair step-ups at home as part of the Big Climb. If you need some motivation to bring movement back into your daily routine — look no further!
As always, it's free to sign up, but climbers are encouraged to set a fundraising goal to help beat cancer. We'll be organizing another Brit + Co team to step up, and I hope you'll join us too! Keep scrolling for a peek at where I'll be completing the challenge in my Los Angeles neighborhood around the hidden Silver Lake Stairs. Happy climbing!
Never underestimate the power of an accountability buddy! I asked my in-laws, my partner, and a few friends to join me so we can keep each other motivated and accountable in completing the challenge — virtual high-fives all around! Also, my dog Fox is a great climber, too.
An aesthetically pleasing backdrop is a huge motivator for me! I'm fortunate to have all sorts of painted steps around my neighborhood to keep the challenge interesting, but you can also keep cool inside with at-home chair step-ups.
Don't forget to share your progress on social — #BigClimb!
Feel free to break the challenge up if you need to by tackling half the distance in the AM and half at sunset. Here's me 1,311 steps later and ready for a break — but, think I earned this one!