These Are the Most Out-of-This-World Looks from the 2016 AMAs
As the last music awards show of the year, we’ve got some pretty high hopes for the AMAs tonight ― it certainly doesn’t hurt that the performers are top notch (we are SO here for anything from Lady Gaga’s “Joanne”) and Gigi Hadid and SNL’s Jay Pharoah are hosting — we have a feeling our girl’s gonna’ kill it.
1. Gigi Hadid: Host Gigi Hadid ditched the glitz and sequins many chose to don for tonight’s red carpet, opting instead for an off-the-shoulder, sheer-to-there lace Cavalli gown. Bonus? It could totally double as a doily instead when she’s done with it!
2. Keke Palmer:Scream Queen Keke gave us some serious sass in shades and a pink furry overcoat atop little else ― her two-piece chainmail Natalia Fedner ensemble appeared to be hanging by little more than a few threads. Fingers crossed that they hold throughout the show!
3. Laura Murano: Actress/singer Laura Murano gave Keke a run for her money, bringing some serious HEAT in what appears to be a suede getup featuring cut-outs, fringe and thigh-high boots.
4. Tinashe: Tinashe (AKA Britney Spears’s new video partner) threw us all for a loop in this sheer gauzy polka dot Michael Costello number with off-the-shoulder sleeves and a whole lotta’ flounce.
5. Noah Cyrus: Miley’s little sis Noah (who’s been totally twinning with her big sis as of late) also went the sheer route, albeit a far less salacious one than some of her peers — hmmm, maybe she IS different from Miley!
6. James Bey: James singlehandedly proved that red carpet fashion isn’t just for the ladies. In skinny jeans (are those velvet?), a fashionable fedora with flowing locks and a printed silver and black jacket, he was every bit as stylish as his female counterparts.
7. Lauren Elizabeth: Youtube star Lauren Elizabeth was among the classiest of the bunch, channeling old Hollywood glamour in a pastel pink slinky satin gown with a jeweled collar.
8. Lauren Giraldo: The OTHER Lauren on Youtube, Lauren Giraldo, looked like a Vegas showgirl in this glitzy bodysuit with its ballet pink train.
9. Danica McKellar: The Wonder Years star looked absolutely adorable in this lace romper with a perky updo, but it was a bit too laid-back for our liking.
10. Milla Jovavich: Milla showed the younger starlets how the red carpet’s done, rocking the sheer trend while keeping it 100 in this showstopping black Elie Saab frock with star embellishments.
11. Idina Menzel: The recently engaged Idina could’ve sung for The Little Mermaid instead of Frozen in this sheer embellished Thai Nguyen Atelier overlay with a mermaid-tail.
12. Bebe Rexha: Bebe got a little wild in a plunging animal print gown, thigh-high boots and a cut-to-there slit. Me-ow!
13. Bella + Dani Thorne: Bella and Dani showed off their matching rock ‘n’ roll ‘dos on the red carpet, with an androgynous dynamic going on to boot: Dani is dainty and feminine in a slinky silver gown while Bella takes the masculine role on with verve, forgoing a top for some added sass.
14. Kat Graham: Is Kat headed to an awards show or the beach in this sheer black fishnet Labourjoisie number? Given the heels, we’ll go with choice A, though it’s still a tough call.
15. Selena Gomez: The “Kill ‘Em With Kindess” singer debuted a far more mature look than we’re used to seeing from her, with a simple pulled-back pony and a plain fit-to-flare red Prada gown.
16. Rebecca Romijn: Rebecca got in on the sheer front on top, but kept it pure elegance on bottom with a navy taffeta tulle skirt.
17. Heidi Klum: It hasn’t been a great year for Heidi Klum re: fashion. First she totally let us down with her Halloween look, then she showed up tonight wearing… this. The metallic sequined pantsuit was bad enough, but the clown-esque bow-tie really put it over the edge. Our eyes!
18. Hailee Steinfeld: Hailee Steinfeld, on the other hand, NAILED the red carpet in a drapey belted Elie Saab romper with star embellishments and metallic threads. Hands down, our favorite look of the night.
19. Ariana Grande: Performer Ariana Grande donned a variation of her signature look, AKA her high pony, lace-scalloped bra and wide-leg pants by Alexander McQueen.
20. Chrissy Teigen: Girl, we love you, but there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. Yikes!
21. Teyana Taylor: Teyana Taylor’s breathtaking red carpet look is a total 180 from the minimal Flashdance threads she mesmerized the world in in Kanye West’s “Fade” video: In fact, if we didn’t love Hailee’s outfit so much, this might have been a contender for the number one spot.
Who do you think rocked the red carpet the hardest? Tell us over @BritandCo.
(Photo via Frederick M. Brown/Getty)
It can be intimidating to step out on your own and build a business from the ground up. As part of our collaboration with Office Depot, we're talking with Selfmade alum and solopreneur Colette Lawrence, the faith-based motivator and relationship builder behind The M.E.E. Movement, about ways in which women in business can find success.
B + C: How did you know M.E.E. Movement was your business to start?
The M.E.E Movement represents motivation, empowerment, and encouragement for women. It is what represents me. I did not know at first that it was my business to start, but then the thought of monetizing what I loved came to me. It scared me, however. I registered the business in July 2020 and have been slowly building my wings since.
B + C: What's one strategy that's helped you start your business?
Thinking through and researching what the requirements are to start my business, and then asking questions of people who are in the business. Not all advice worked; however, it helped me to figure out what I needed to do and not to do.
B + C: Did you always know life coaching would be your entrepreneurial path?
(Smiles) No, I did not. I 'stumbled" on it. I knew that people were always coming to me for advice and I found that I loved having conversations with them, especially with women, young and old.
B + C: What was your most valuable takeaway from Selfmade?
My most valuable takeaway was the first day of training: Get out of your own way. There were a lot of great moments and important takeaways from every presenter. However, getting out of my own way, pushing past doubts, was for me my most valuable takeaway. Doing something that I had never done before took courage. If I do not focus on what is happening with me mentally then I cannot deliver to my clients successfully.
B + C: What's one piece of advice you would give to female entrepreneurs on the brink of starting?
Get out of your head. You have something to offer. You have what you need to succeed so go ahead and do it.
B + C: How do you stay motivated?
I stay motivated by listening to music and listening to motivational speakers, and sometimes someone will just reach out and talk about the impact that I made in their life. That adds the extra juice or sauce I need to pummel through the day.
B + C: What's your best organizational tip?
Keep a diary and journal. It's the best way for me to keep organized and it also provides a source motivation as I record not only my "losses" but my wins as well.
B + C: Who inspires you in the entrepreneurial space?
Shirley Toliver – She motivates and empowers and makes me always want to show up.
B + C: What has receiving the Office Depot scholarship to Selfmade done to help you start or grow your business?
The scholarship was a blessing in that all the areas that were covered offered valuable information that I needed, from social media to HR. As a new business owner, I needed to know this to increase my own personal awareness in what it takes to run a successful business. The candidness of the presenters made it easy to see myself in their shoes and helped me to realize that I can also get there.
Want to feel motivated to take the next step for your business? Let Office Depot OfficeMax give you the confidence you need with a suite of business services & solutions to help you put your best foot forward. Make a good first impression with business cards & build the business pitch of your dreams with custom presentations. With Office Depot OfficeMax you'll find the tools to reach new customers with confidence.
Head to Office Depot's Selfmade page to check out even more amazing business resources (and discounts!) to help you accomplish more on your entrepreneurial journey. These offers are available for a limited time only, so be sure to take advantage of all this goodness while supplies last. Want to join the next Selfmade cohort this summer? Check out all of the scholarship details right here.