These Are the Most Out-of-This-World Looks from the 2016 AMAs
As the last music awards show of the year, we’ve got some pretty high hopes for the AMAs tonight ― it certainly doesn’t hurt that the performers are top notch (we are SO here for anything from Lady Gaga’s “Joanne”) and Gigi Hadid and SNL’s Jay Pharoah are hosting — we have a feeling our girl’s gonna’ kill it.
But first, the red carpet! Here’s all the out-of-this-world looks you might have missed (or simply need to relive).
1. Gigi Hadid: Host Gigi Hadid ditched the glitz and sequins many chose to don for tonight’s red carpet, opting instead for an off-the-shoulder, sheer-to-there lace Cavalli gown. Bonus? It could totally double as a doily instead when she’s done with it!
Keke gave us some serious sass in shades and a pink furry overcoat atop little else ― her two-piece chainmail Natalia Fedner ensemble appeared to be hanging by little more than a few threads. Fingers crossed that they hold throughout the show!
3. Laura Murano: Actress/singer Laura Murano gave Keke a run for her money, bringing some serious HEAT in what appears to be a suede getup featuring cut-outs, fringe and thigh-high boots.
4. Tinashe: Tinashe (AKA Britney Spears’s new video partner) threw us all for a loop in this sheer gauzy polka dot Michael Costello number with off-the-shoulder sleeves and a whole lotta’ flounce.
Miley’s little sis Noah (who’s been totally twinning with her big sis as of late) also went the sheer route, albeit a far less salacious one than some of her peers — hmmm, maybe she IS different from Miley!
6. James Bey: James singlehandedly proved that red carpet fashion isn’t just for the ladies. In skinny jeans (are those velvet?), a fashionable fedora with flowing locks and a printed silver and black jacket, he was every bit as stylish as his female counterparts.
7. Lauren Elizabeth: Youtube star Lauren Elizabeth was among the classiest of the bunch, channeling old Hollywood glamour in a pastel pink slinky satin gown with a jeweled collar.
8. Lauren Giraldo: The OTHER Lauren on Youtube, Lauren Giraldo, looked like a Vegas showgirl in this glitzy bodysuit with its ballet pink train.
The Wonder Years star looked absolutely adorable in this lace romper with a perky updo, but it was a bit too laid-back for our liking.
10. Milla Jovavich: Milla showed the younger starlets how the red carpet’s done, rocking the sheer trend while keeping it 100 in this showstopping black Elie Saab frock with star embellishments.
Idina Menzel: The recently engaged Idina could’ve sung for The Little Mermaid instead of Frozen in this sheer embellished Thai Nguyen Atelier overlay with a mermaid-tail.
12. Bebe Rexha: Bebe got a little wild in a plunging animal print gown, thigh-high boots and a cut-to-there slit. Me-ow!
13. Bella + Dani Thorne: Bella and Dani showed off their matching rock ‘n’ roll ‘dos on the red carpet, with an androgynous dynamic going on to boot: Dani is dainty and feminine in a slinky silver gown while Bella takes the masculine role on with verve, forgoing a top for some added sass.
14. Kat Graham: Is Kat headed to an awards show or the beach in this sheer black fishnet Labourjoisie number? Given the heels, we’ll go with choice A, though it’s still a tough call.
15. Selena Gomez: The “Kill ‘Em With Kindess” singer debuted a far more mature look than we’re used to seeing from her, with a simple pulled-back pony and a plain fit-to-flare red Prada gown.
16. Rebecca Romijn: Rebecca got in on the sheer front on top, but kept it pure elegance on bottom with a navy taffeta tulle skirt.
It hasn’t been a great year for Heidi Klum re: fashion. First she totally let us down with her Halloween look, then she showed up tonight wearing… this. The metallic sequined pantsuit was bad enough, but the clown-esque bow-tie really put it over the edge. Our eyes!
18. Hailee Steinfeld: Hailee Steinfeld, on the other hand, NAILED the red carpet in a drapey belted Elie Saab romper with star embellishments and metallic threads. Hands down, our favorite look of the night.
19. Ariana Grande: Performer Ariana Grande donned a variation of her signature look, AKA her high pony, lace-scalloped bra and wide-leg pants by Alexander McQueen.
20. Chrissy Teigen: Girl, we love you, but there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing. Yikes!
Teyana Taylor’s breathtaking red carpet look is a total 180 from the minimal Flashdance threads she mesmerized the world in in Kanye West’s “Fade” video: In fact, if we didn’t love Hailee’s outfit so much, this might have been a contender for the number one spot.