You’ll Bug Out Over our Black and White Tuxedo Cake
By now you know that we’re in full-on Halloween mode at Brit + Co., and this week we’re celebrating our Chic Halloween Party! As we were putting the final touches on the party, we wanted to throw in a cake that would be chic but still a rich and indulgent treat. We settled on an old standby, our Tuxedo Cake, but amped it up with our new favorite Halloween decor item, Gilded Insects. Did you know you can buy a kit to make Gilded Insects here?!
Now let’s get started.
– Chocolate cake mix (prepared according to package directions)
– 12 ounces white chocolate
– 2 cups (4 sticks) butter
– 6 cups powdered sugar
– 1 1/4 cups cream, divided
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
– 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1. Prepare and bake chocolate cake mix according to package directions.
2. Make the white chocolate frosting by melting the white chocolate. In a separate bowl, cream together the butter, powdered sugar, 1/4 cup cream, and vanilla. Add the white chocolate once it’s cooled slightly, and mix until smooth and creamy.
3. Assemble the cake by alternating layers of chocolate cake and white chocolate frosting. Then cover the entire cake with a thick layer of frosting.
4. Make the ganache by melting the chocolate and remaining cream together, and mixing until smooth.
5. Let the ganache cool slightly and then pour over the middle of the cake, gently pushing over the sides.
Now let’s dive into the full tutorial!
Start by gathering your ingredients (don’t forget the items you need for the cake mix!).
Make and bake the chocolate cake according to package directions.
Once the cakes are baked and cooling, start making the white chocolate frosting. Melt chocolate using a double boiler or in a microwave.
While you’re melting the chocolate, make the frosting. Begin by creaming the butter, adding powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1/4 cup cream.
Mix in the melted white chocolate and don’t forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
Once the frosting is smooth and creamy, frost the cake. Begin by smothering the first layer with frosting.
Repeat process with the following layers.
Looks like a pretty fun cake!
After you have your four layers assembled, cover the whole cake in a thick layer of frosting.
Then make sure you smooth the sides and top out as much as possible.
Once the cake is completely frosted, make the chocolate ganache. Melt the chocolate and cream in a double boiler or microwave until smooth and creamy.
Let the ganache cool slightly until it’s not quite so fluid, but still liquid enough to pour. Gently pour onto the center of the cake.
Use an offset spatula to gently push the ganache over the sides (but not too much!).
This is the look you’re going for with the ganache.
Very gently place the gold bugs on the cake.
And you’re done! This is definitely more of a treat than a trick!
What are your favorite Halloween recipes? Let us know in the comments section below!