Whether you’re 100% vegan and want scrumptious BBQ recipes or you’re an omnivore puzzled at what to serve your non-meat-eating guests, these 15 grilling ideas will turn your summer soiree into a party that all your friends will enjoy. While most vegans and vegetarians will be grateful that you threw on some delicious in-season veggies onto the grill, you can really wow your favorite herbivore with these recipes. Heck, we’d be satisfied with just your fizzy summer gin cocktails, but in case you want to serve more than drinks, try these tips.
1. Veggie Burgers: The meatless patties have grown up since the days of flat, flavorless discs that tasted like cardboard. Here are a few store-bought burgers that you can pick up and buy: Beyond Meat Beast Burger, Gardein Beefless Burger and Field Roast’s Hand-Formed Burgers. Or if you’re feeling creative, try your hand at these Italian Herb Burgers. (via John Schlimm)
2. Grilled Tacos: Turning grilled veggies into tacos is an instant way to liven up your summer bounty of fresh squashes and portobello mushrooms. John Schlimm, the author of Griling Vegan Style, makes these handheld bites super simple. (via John Schlimm)
3. Grilled Fruit: Grilled peaches drizzled with balsamic vinegar or grilled bananas rolled in toasted coconut are not only vegan, quick and delicious, but they also taste sweet without any added sugar. You could also impress your guests with this Vegan Deconstructed Boozy Mocha Drenched Grilled Banana Coconut Cream Pies (wowzer!). (via Half Baked Harvest)
4. S’mores: Believe it or not, vegan marshmallows exist, and they are delicious. Try Happy Healthy Life’s Campfire S’mores, buy Sweet and Sara’s readymade S’mores (available in most Whole Foods) or make your own with Dandies marshmallows, dark chocolate and vegan graham crackers. You could also try this incredible vegan s’mores hack. (via Olives for Dinner)
5. Grilled Pizza: With homemade pizza dough or a pre-made dough ball and some choice toppings — think vegan pesto and vegan parmesan cheese — you can turn your BBQ into a pizza oven. We recommend this Roasted Tomato, Onion and Basil Pesto Pie. (via Oh She Glows)
6. Grilled Polenta: Considered an appetizer in Italy, polenta is a gluten-free delight, especially on the grill. Whip up this summer-ready Grilled Polenta and Zucchini Salsa for something everyone will love. (via Love and Lemons)
8. Grilled Tofu: If you think tofu is boring, know that it’s all about how you season it. Putting it on the grill gives tofu a wonderful texture that’s juicy and crispy. Try breading tofu and serving it over a spinach salad, marinate it with your favorite beer, freshly grated ginger and some barbecue sauce or go Asian style with sesame oil, garlic and a little rice wine vinegar. (via Divine Healthy Food)
10. Grilled Kebabs: Make simple skewers by alternating thick zucchini wedges with Gardein beefless tips. Rub your skewers with olive oil, freshly chopped rosemary and a sprinkling of salt before tossing them on the barbecue. If you like things spicy, try marinating the beefless tips in Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha and Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce overnight for a delightfully garlicky punch or coat them in a sesame teriyaki sauce. (via Meet the Shannons)
11. Grilled Sandwiches: Sure, you can layer a nice stack of grilled veggies on some sourdough slices and get some nice grill marks on the bread, or you can make this mile-high stack of vegan nutella-esque banana sandwiches. No judgments. (via Minimalist Baker)
12. Campfire Pies: Nothing could be more simple than warming slices of bread, your favorite pie filling and a dash of cinnamon and sugar in a sandwich iron over your grill. These sweet pies are the perfect handheld treats for kids too. (via Andrea Recipes)
13. Cauliflower Steaks: Sliced thick, cauliflower wedges are great for the grill. These Chipotle Lime Cauliflower Steaks add a nice smoky flavor to crispy cauliflower. If you’re not sure how to slice cauliflower heads into steaks, check out this step-by-step photo tutorial— it’ll make it a cinch. (via The Kitchn)
14. Homemade Vegan Sausages: Customize these grill-ready sausages with any seasonings or flavors you like. Go for a Spicy Italian Sausage or make hot dogs out of carrots (yes, really). The world is your (s)oyster! (via One Green Planet)
What are some of your favorite vegan grill recipes? Share your faves with us in the comments!