This Vegan Muesli Makes Breakfast Feel Like a Comforting Hug
Muesli may be mushy and beige, but there’s nothing sad about oatmeal‘s cold, convenient relative. Sometimes, the ugliest foods are the most comforting (every casserole ever), and there’s no replacement for them on days when we want breakfast to feel like a big hug — that is, a big hug in the form of sweet, creamy goodness. This breakfast replicates the comforting taste of traditional muesli (made with cream, sugar, and whole fat yogurt) without dairy or refined sugar. That’s right; this brekky is 100 percent vegan, as long as you replace the honey with maple syrup or another sweetener.
Prep a batch on a Sunday, and it will give you ready-to-go breakfasts for the week. Have fun playing with the ingredients too. We like apples, raisins, and shredded coconut, but you might like berries and slivered almonds. Whatever you do, don’t leave out the almond meal; it adds the perfect bit of graininess to the soft, smooth mush, for lack of a better word.
- 2 cups uncooked rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond or hazelnut meal
- 1 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup dairy-free yogurt, such as coconut yogurt
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup apple, finely shredded into hashbrown-like pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Keep it refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Want breakfast for every meal? Follow us on Pinterest!
(Photo and recipe via Sara Cagle / Brit + Co)