These Vegan Red Velvet Brownies Recipe Will Make You Heart Avocado Even More
One bite of these dreamy, fudge-y, and delightful red velvet vegan brownies topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting will have you smiling, but once you find out that they're also healthy and made with one of our favorite secret ingredients, avocado, you'll be jumping for joy. We've taken a classic and given it a guilt-free twist to kick off the new year with a sweet treat to enjoy.
vegan red velvet brownies RECIPE
Recipe from Nicole Iizuka, Brit + Co
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 cup cooked beets, reserve the liquid
- 1 small avocado
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese, like Daiya
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- reserved beet juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray your brownie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add all of the brownie ingredients into a food processor. Mix until the beets are fully incorporated and then pour your batter into the brownie pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan completely.
- While the brownies are cooling, in a bowl whisk together vegan cream cheese with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and oil until smooth. Remove about 2 tablespoons of the frosting and mix with beet juice to make a pink frosting.
- Once the brownies have cooled, cut into squares and frost generously with the cream cheese frosting. Then make dots with the pink frosting and use a toothpick to swirl the pink in with the white to make a pretty design on top.
Would you try these vegan brownies? Tag us on Instagram with your creation!
(Photos via Nicole Iizuka / Brit + Co)
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)