One bite of these dreamy, fudge-y, and delightful red velvet vegan brownies topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting will have you smiling, but once you find out that they’re also healthy and made with one of our favorite secret ingredients, avocado, you’ll be jumping for joy. We’ve taken a classic and given it a guilt-free twist to kick off the new year with a sweet treat to enjoy.
vegan red velvet brownies
Recipe from Nicole Iizuka, Brit + Co
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 cup cooked beets, reserve the liquid
- 1 small avocado
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese, like Daiya
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- reserved beet juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray your brownie pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add all of the brownie ingredients into a food processor. Mix until the beets are fully incorporated and then pour your batter into the brownie pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan completely.
- While the brownies are cooling, in a bowl whisk together vegan cream cheese with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and oil until smooth. Remove about 2 tablespoons of the frosting and mix with beet juice to make a pink frosting.
- Once the brownies have cooled, cut into squares and frost generously with the cream cheese frosting. Then make dots with the pink frosting and use a toothpick to swirl the pink in with the white to make a pretty design on top.
Would you try these vegan brownies? Tag us on Instagram with your creation!
(Photos via Nicole Iizuka / Brit + Co)