Calling all chocoholics! Get ready to make the healthiest brownie you can actually feel good about eating. This recipe is dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar-free and vegan, made with a particular superstar fiber-packed ingredient — black beans. Now before you get dismissive, hear me out. Black beans are a great substitution for flour in gluten-free baking, and they work great in brownies because our beloved cocoa powder masks any trace of the black bean flavor. This is a great alternative to mix things up between all the decadent sweets that we consume around this time of year. They are even a great pre-workout snack with some almond butter or late at night with some ice cream :)
— 1 can black beans (I bought the kind with no salt added)
— 1/2 cup oats
— 1/2 cup agave nectar
— 1/2 cup cocoa powder
— 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil
— 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
— 1/4 teaspoon salt
— 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Drain black beans well and put in blender or food processor. It’s important to blend the black beans into a smooth consistency.
2. Transfer black beans to a mixing bowl and mash them up some more.
3. Place black beans back in the blender or food processor along with the rest of the ingredients except the vanilla. Blend well.
4. Pour mixture into a mixing bowl and stir in the vanilla.
5. Fill your mini cupcake tins and bake for 10-12 minutes.
6. Let cool and inhale!
Place your black beans in a blender and mix until smooth.
Pour the black beans into mixing bowl and mash with the back side of spoon until they are even smoother.
This step is crucial to eliminating any black bean taste!
Put your black beans back into the blender and add the remaining ingredients. Your batter will be a nice thick consistency. Scrape the batter into a mixing bowl and stir in the vanilla extract.
Add spoonfuls of batter into a lined mini cupcake tin. I’ve omitted the liners before and used coconut oil cooking spray with great success.
Bake these puppies for 10-12 minutes.
Hard to believe these decadent brownies are nutritious, right? But they are.
*Drooling* over this fudgey goodness!
What’s your favorite healthy spin on a classic dessert? Let us know in the comments below!