What-a-melon! 21 Ways to Eat a Watermelon
What says summer better than freshly cut watermelon? Nothing. Except maybe these 20 recipes that dish watermelon into cocktails, cakes, salads and appetizers galore. We put together a winning watermelon roundup last summer, so here’s another guide for the next few months with some fresh new ideas. Become a watermelon bartender, baker, salad enthusiast — you name it. These recipes are here for you and your watermelon-loving fans.
3. Otai Watermelon Drink: This recipe comes from a small island in the Southern Pacific Ocean. The beautiful drink is made from crushed watermelon, coconut milk and lime juice. Maybe Otai translates to delicious. (via Tara’s Multicultural Table)
4. Poke Watermelon: Did this tuna impostor fool you? For the vegetarians in the house, or those willing to try something new, this marinated watermelon is the ultimate sweet and salty combo. (via Bitter Sweet)
5. Grilled Watermelon With Honey Glazed Mandarin: Something we learned in 2014. Grilled fruit is glorious. And if you’re wondering, “Is grilled watermelon as good as the cold stuff?” Let us assure you; when it’s topped with grilled mandarin oranges, yogurt and muesli — you bet it is. (via Capture by Lucy)
7. Watermelon Canteloupe Mini Layer Cake: This dessert is super intriguing. In the center lies kiwi-mango preserves and in the whipped cream hides coconut. With the brownie bite on top, there are so many flavors and so little time for a taste bud party. (via Kitchen Tested)
9. Shrimp Tacos With Watermelon-Apple Salad + Goat Cheese-Cilantro Cream: If only summer would never end and the ingredients for this fresh dish were always available. (via Yes to Yolks)
10. Pickled Watermelon Rinds + Bacon: We’ve heard of bacon and chocolate, and bacon and peanut butter… but bacon and watermelon rinds? You’ll just have to make them to find out. (via JJ Begonia)
12. Fresh Watermelon Cake: Watermelon is so sweet it’s hard to imagine putting icing on it, but more than a few bloggers have raved about recipes like this one for summertime. The combo must be tasty. (via Sprinkle Bakes)
15. Watermelon Canteloupe Lemonade: Fresh squeezed lemonade might be the one thing that screams summer more than watermelon. So this mixture is definitely a go. Vodka, anyone? (via The Kitchen McCabe)
21. Watermelon Donuts: Alright, here’s another recipe where the actual fruit isn’t really involved, but we can still see these being a smash at your next brunch or 4th of July barbecue. (via Paper + Stitch)
What other ways will you serve watermelon at your summer shindig?