Put Another Fruit on the Barbie! 29 Grilled Fruit Recipes
Time to fire up the grill! But hold the burgers and dogs. There are plenty of other foods worthy of a good char. Like fruit! No offense to tasty sweet salads, but fruit on the grill is possibly the best thing to happen to open flames since the creation of s’mores. Eat it all on its own for a healthy dessert, or try one of the 29 recipes below that put the grilled goodness to delicious use.
1. Fruit Skewers: Holy shish kebab! It doesn’t get any easier than this: Skewer your favorite fruit with some pieces of of angel food cake, give it a turn on the grill and a finishing drizzle of chocolate. (via Shanty Two Chic)
3. Bruschetta: This fruit and mascarpone topped bruschetta is for dessert, not appetizers. Save the grilled bread, yes, it’s grilled too, to soak up the sweet juices of the seasonal fruit. (via Food and Wine)
4. Plum Salad: We’re plum crazy for this purple salad. It has all the components of a perfect meal — acidity from aged balsamic, salty crumbly blue cheese and refreshing tart and sweet pieces of grilled plum. (via La Domestique)
6. Pineapple and Coconut Sorbet: You’ll feel like you’re at the beach with this tropical dessert. Top charred pineapple with fresh mint leaves, then serve it à la mode with fresh made coconut sorbet. (via Martha Stewart)
7. Fruity Brownie Sundae: This one’s for the chocoholics out there. Warm fudgy brownies are the perfect match for fruity ice cream and grilled fruit like kiwi, pineapple and watermelon. (via I Can Cook That)
11. Fig and Pesto Crostini: There’s so much mind-blowing flavor in this appetizer you’ll want seconds! Crusty bread is topped with sweet grilled figs, salty pecorino cheese and a refreshing light mint pesto. (via Herbivoracious)
12. Marinated Grilled Apples: Skip the work of making an apple pie and grill up some apple slices instead. Try it with Granny Smiths for a tart snack or top grilled Pink Ladies with some vanilla ice cream for dessert. (via Cooking Light)
13. Buttermilk Waffles: Bananas and waffles are already a go-to breakfast pairing, but adding a grill to the equation is one surefire way to remix breakfast. Insider tip: You can grill bananas in or out of the peel! (via Just a Pinch)
16. Watermelon Grilled Cheese Bites: Made you look! That’s not a tomato caprese stack. It’s actually watermelon. Turns out, the summery fruit is a prime target for the grill — and makes great “bread” for sandwiching halloumi cheese. (via Brit + Co.)
17. Pluot Mozzarella Salad: If you’ve never heard of a pluot, you don’t know what you’ve been missing. Pair the grilled plum apricot hybrid with fresh cheese and a pear dressing for a light summer salad. (via She’s Cookin)
19. Grilled Peach Pound Cake: In all honesty, you don’t even need the pound cake for this one, but it’s the icing on the, well, cake, which sits underneath almond and oat-filled grilled peach boats. Oh, and did we mention the caramel drizzle? (via Pint Sized Baker)
21. Grilled Peach Pizza: We want to rename pizza to peachza after whipping up this sweet and salty dinner. Topped with sweet peaches and salty prosciutto (the ultimate combo), you won’t be able to eat just one slice. (via Say Yes)
23. Banana S’more Boats: You need to get onboard this banana boat. Skip the graham crackers and bananas, and go with chocolate chips and marshmallows instead. Seal everything in tinfoil and roast until melted and grilled to perfection. (via Sweet Treats and More)
25. Baked Yucca Fries with Banana Ketchup: Can’t spot the fruit? That’s because it’s hiding in the ketchup! After you’ve grilled up some bananas, puree them with honey and other basic ketchup ingredients for a sweet dipping sauce for your fries. (via Spoon Fork Bacon)
27. Pineapple Salsa: You won’t find salsa as good as this at the grocery store, and you’ll definitely want to bottle this up for the summer. Mix chopped grilled pineapple with corn and fire-roasted peppers for a sweet and spicy chip, fish or burger topper. (via Bev Cooks)
Peachy keen on grilled fruit recipes? Share your favorite recipes below!
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.