15 Whole-Grain Pasta Recipes for a Comfort Food Healthy Makeover
Stop everything: There’s a way to make your favorite noodle dishes even better. Yes, really. And all it takes is a simple swap of the base ingredient. If you use whole grain pasta, you get the same can’t-resist flavors but with more fiber, B vitamins, and protein. These 15 whole grain pasta recipes are the type of healthy comfort food that you’ll find yourself craving when hunger strikes.
2. Whole Grain Penne With Spinach, White Beans, and Garlic: When you have a dish made with two starches (pasta and beans), sometimes you need an extra boost of color and flavor. Spinach adds some verdant freshness to this meal, while a garlic, chili, and anchovy oil cuts through any lingering heaviness. (via Avocado a Day Nutrition)
4. Bacon, Spinach, and Caramelized Onion Pasta: Creamy like carbonara but egg-free, this smokey bacon and spinach pasta is bound to be a winner. Brown sugar is the secret ingredient that gives the sauce just the right balance of flavor. (via Sizzling Eats)
5. Whole Wheat Spaghetti With Zoodles and Prosciutto: Make your favorite pasta dish a little healthier by using a mixture of half whole wheat spaghetti and half zucchini noodles. Toss with crispy prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil for a fresh and healthy meal. (via Avocado a Day Nutrition)
7. Balsamic Orecchiette With Spinach, Craisins, and Feta: Pasta doesn’t have to be a boring weeknight meal. Made with little scoops of orecchiette, this dish plays with a variety of sweet, salty, and tangy flavors. (via Pumpkin & Peanut Butter)
8. Spaghetti With Kale, Mushrooms, and Lentils: Mushrooms and lentils are a savory duo that add deep flavor to this spaghetti. Add in some kale so you get your daily fix of greens, and don’t forget a sprinkle of Parm on top. (via The Last Food Blog)
9. Spicy Italian Sausage Whole Grain Penne Soup: Soup is always more exciting with some sort of noodle action in the mix. Penne, sausage, veggies, and herbs give this cozy pot of soup a flavorful Italian flair. (via From a Chef’s Kitchen)
11. Slow Cooker Pasta: Getting a nutritious meal on the table isn’t difficult when you have recipes like this on hand. Whole wheat pasta, cheese, sauce, and veggies cook low and slow to create this satisfying dinner. (via Well Plated)
12. Mediterranean Chicken and Whole Wheat Spaghetti: Briny olives load this meal of whole grain spaghetti, chicken, and tomatoes with flavor. Best of all, it’s made in one skillet… so you have less dishes to worry about at the end of the night. (via ifoodreal)
13. Whole Grain Linguine With Turkey Meatballs: Savory, juicy turkey meatballs help keep your favorite comfort food on the healthier side. Add a fresh tomato-basil sauce and whole grain linguine for a complete meal. (via The Original Dish)
14. Avocado Orecchiette: This creamy avocado pasta, tossed with asparagus and fresh herbs, tastes like spring. A squeeze of lemon gives it a sunny flavor that will put a smile on your face after just one bite. (via Well Plated)
15. Mushroom Penne With Walnut Pesto: Mushrooms sautéed in butter will fill your house with an irresistible smell when you cook this pasta dish. Combined with an earthy walnut pesto, it’s a meal that will soothe your soul. (via Pinch of Yum)
For more twists on pasta night, follow us on Pinterest.