If you’re a tomato lover, chances are you can’t get enough tomato soup or marinara sauce. But if tomatoes aren’t really your thing — or if you have to avoid nightshades for health reasons — you might be looking for a pasta sauce recipe that’s completely tomato-free. Don’t worry — cheesy pasta (while obvi super delicious) isn’t your only option for indulging in a yummy, carb-y meal. There are tons of pasta sauce recipes sans ‘matos that will leave your taste buds totally satisfied. Here are 10 tomato-free pasta sauces to add to your arsenal.
1. Creamy Butternut Squash Alfredo Pasta: Love Alfredo sauce? Lucky you, since Alfredo isn’t usually tomato-based in the first place. This recipe takes an already good thing and makes it even better. Bonus: It’s perfect for when fall weather truly hits. (via Joyful Healthy Eats)
2. The Ultimate Nomato Sauce: This gluten-free, sugar-free, low-fat, vegan recipe is specifically designed for people with nightshade intolerances. It’s the perfect option for marinara lovers who simply can’t do tomatoes. You can thank pumpkin and beetroot for the gorgeous red color that will make you forget ALL about tomatoes. (via Southern in Law)
3. Creamy Avocado “Pasta”: This low-carb recipe is designed to be Paleo-friendly, substituting spiralized zucchini noodles for wheat pasta… but you’re welcome to use real spaghetti if you’d like. The delicious sauce is avocado-based and also contains walnuts, parsley, asparagus and coconut milk for a hearty and healthy feast. (via The Healthy Foodie)
4. One-Pan Butternut Squash Penne: If you love penne noodles, this sauce is absolutely *perfect* for ’em. The creamy, sweet taste of butternut squash makes for a delicious recipe base, creating a sauce that’s perfect for fall. (via Chew Out Loud)
5. Carrot Pasta Sauce: To review: We’ve learned that you can swap out tomatoes for butternut squash, avocado, beets and… carrots? Yep, this sauce uses our favorite snackable root veggie to create a creamy and delicious tomato-free alternative. (via The Cookie Writer)
6. Tomatoless “Tomato” Sauce: This fabulous tomato-free option calls for zucchini, butternut squash, garlic, onion, beet stock, plus a flavorful combination of basil, oregano and apple cider vinegar. The result is a flavorful dish that will make you forget you’re missing tomatoes in the first place. (via The Nourishing Gourmet)
7. Creamy Pesto Sauce With Coconut Milk: You’re not sacrificing any flavor with this delicious pesto recipe. The concoction is rich in fat, flavor and texture, made with coconut milk, butter, mozzarella cheese and basil-based pesto sauce. (via The Rising Spoon)
8. Quick and Easy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce: Ground cauliflower is a fantastic substitution for cream-based sauces, giving you an extra dose of veggies while toning down the fat content. Bonus: This sauce is super easy to make too. (via I Wash You Dry)
9. Creamy Avocado and Spinach Pasta: Avocado and spinach are kind of a dream team when it comes to nutritious, green produce. Try this recipe, which combines them with pecans and basil for an uber-healthy meal. (via Jo Cooks)
10. AIP-Friendly Paleo ‘No’mato Sauce: This classic marinara sauce — minus the tomatoes, of course — rounds out our list. It’s a healthy and intolerance-friendly sauce that’d be the perfect complement to traditional spaghetti and meatballs. Just substitute zucchini noodles if you’re eating Paleo or gluten-free. (via Merit + Fork)
Follow us on Pinterest for more healthy recipes + ideas!