11 Beauty and Skincare Essentials for Winter Brides
Winter is upon us! For gals that choose to get hitched during the most snuggly time of year, there are a few major perks to your timing, including the breathtaking backdrop of snow, wearing a winter wonderland-worthy dress and having the season’s deep jewel-toned makeup shimmer as brightly as your ring. But before you can swipe on a frosty shadow and call yourself Elsa, you have to keep in mind that the frigid weather, cold wind and even your warm indoor haven can cause dry, problematic skin — and you’re going to need more than a veil to protect it. So we’ve compiled this go-to guide of ultra-moisturizing skincare products and alter-worthy makeup with winter brides in mind. Start incorporating these into your beauty routine as you tie up your wedding prep so you’ll be fully photo-ready in time for your big day.
1. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream ($27): Prepping your skin with a really good hydrating face cream is clutch. Kiehl’s is one of my go-tos because it’s really good for sensitive skin, plus I’ve noticed it works well on most of my clients, no matter their skin type.
2. Laura Mercier Hydrating Primer ($33): It is crucial to wear a primer to help your foundation adhere evenly and last longer. Laura Mercier nailed their hydrating primer by packing their formula full of moisture-rich vitamins while keeping the feel light. For the first time this season, you won’t feel like you’re wearing too many layers.
4. Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Bronzer ($36): My new FAVORITE bronzer, and soon to be yours too! This coppery powder has the perfect amount of shimmer to it without overdoing the sparkle. And as with the above products, it’s a versatile makeup kit staple that will add luster to nearly any skin tone.
5. Maybelline Face Studio Master Glaze Creme Blush ($10): Since you’re trying to keep your skin hydrated and glowing, opt for a cream-based blush on your big day. This drugstore purchase will blow your mind with its smooth feel, sheer finish and covetable winter colors, like the rosy Make A Mauve or berry-tinted Plums Up.
6. Yves Saint Laurent Concealer ($35): This has been a go-to concealer here at Brit + Co for a while now, and there is no sign of that changing anytime soon, reason being it’s a hydrating, lightweight, creamy concealer that has a brush already in its (amazing, insanely chic, shiny gold) packaging. And really, what more can you ask for?
7. Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed ($38): Highlight your cheekbones with this gorgeous illuminating powder in a swoon-worthy shade of Opal that gives off the most stunning, multi-dimensional reflections. Be a doll and gift a pod to each of your bridesmaids, too!
10. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes ($19): This creamy eyeliner goes on sooo easily you won’t believe. But just because it’s quick to apply doesn’t mean it’ll fade as fast. Pad its long-lasting formula and set it with a little shadow to make sure it’s not going anywhere during your (probably teary) vows!
11. Maybelline Volum Express The Rocket Waterproof Mascara ($8): Another drugstore favorite, this volumizing mascara is not only 100% quality (your makeup-obsessed friends will think you’re wearing the designer stuff), but it also has such a pretty package — hack tradition and use THIS as your something blue!
Pocket doors are so delightful in and of themselves. They appear when you need them, get tucked away when you don't, and make it easy to define rooms while keeping an open floor plan. Add to the pocket door a joyful patterned wallpaper surprise, and you will be sent right into fits of visual jubilation! Or something ;) Today we're sharing two simple and impactful pocket door makeovers that zhuzh up your space in a jiffy.
Anjelika Temple here, co-founder of Brit + Co and proud owner of several pocket doors! When I moved into my first real grown-up house a couple years ago, I knew I wanted to incorporate wallpaper so reached out to our friends at Chasing Paper to see how we might collaborate. It felt like a total lightbulb moment when I realized I could create a surprise pop of pattern on a couple sets of pocket doors.
Not only is it a whimsical way to bring color into a space, but the doors double as picture-perfect backdrops for all your SFH (selfies from home, obvs).
A few pro tips about install:
- Removable wallpaper is miraculously forgiving! You can take it on and off multiple times without it losing integrity (or mucking up your surface).
- I ordered this adhesive wallpaper installation kit with a squeegee and xacto knife and it worked super well. I also recommend a sharp pair of scissors for cutting longer lines.
- This is a two-person job! Get a friend, put on a playlist, and get ready to bond.
- Wild, organic patterns like Tally are great because it's challenging to spot any imperfections in pattern alignment; keep pattern choice in mind if you've got a lot of corners to match up. More geometric patterns and larger shapes leave less room for error (but are awesome in their own right!).
BATHROOM POCKET DOORS
In our primary bathroom, we chose the wallpaper pattern Tally, designed by Kelly Ventura, in White and Navy. In our space, the navy reads as a soft black, which is perfect for the space. It's easy to combine an ever-rotating collection of linens with the Tally pattern.
I love how the white trim becomes the perfect frame around this pocket door piece of art.
My favorite moment in this space is the fact that you actually get a third pop of pattern thanks to our serendipitously placed mirror!
And yes, this one works pretty darn well as a backdrop too ;)
LIVING ROOM DOUBLE DOORS
This set of doors is definitely a focal point of our home. It separates our living room from our primary bedroom which opens onto our backyard. The doors are pretty much always open, but when they're closed we wanted to evoke a fun, nature-inspired vibe. With that in mind, we selected the Lines and Moons pattern by Thimblepress in Green and Brown.
Earth mama vibes up in here! I love how the shapes and colors echo the ferns you see through the windows and the acorn wood details throughout the house.
Love this pattern moment, and xacto-ing out the door handle is def on the oddly satisfying DIY list.
For a pattern lover like me, I love that now I have this instant photo backdrop!
Thanks to Chasing Paper for providing these rolls of pure pattern amazingness. Head to chasingpaper.com to find our own favorites and start adding patterns to your home!
(Wallpaper wingwoman: Kayla Haykin; Photography: Kurt Andre)