Blank white walls, muddy-colored carpet and vertical blinds: The bane of every apartment renter’s existence. Renting can more often feel like you’re camping out in a dental office waiting room, instead of sleeping at home sweet home. But don’t fret yet; you can dress your small space without ripping up the carpet (or ripping out your hair). Here are 15 ways to live large and in charge in your rental without sacrificing your security deposit.
1. Think Pretty + Practical: Most of use are tight for space when we’re renting, so invest in home goods that are pretty enough to display to free up kitchen space, like these bright trays. Getting anything out of the cupboards and onto the wall is a big plus. (via Brit + Co)
2. Go for a Gallery Wall: There’s no better way to fill up a big white wall than with your favorite pieces of art (if your landlord says no way to nail holes, use adhesive Velcro backing). Add an extra dose of design oomph by dipping your frames and pictures in paint. (via Brit + Co)
5. Get Pattern Off the Wall and Onto the Bed: Permanent patterned wallpaper is definitely a no-go for most apartment dwellers. Punch up the pattern on your bedding instead with this fun DIY. (via Brit + Co)
7. Fun Wall Decals: If you just want a touch of pattern in one specific place, try a removable wall decal. They’re like giant stickers for your pad. And if you have a bathroom this big in your apartment with a tub this cool, lucky you. (via Sticker Brand)
8. Think Beyond the Frame: If you think hanging up frames for a gallery wall sounds a bit tedious, try a wall hanging. Cover more ground with one bold piece, like this macrame stunner. (via Brit + Co)
10. Invest in Multifunctional Furniture: Here’s another space-saving tip: Buy pieces that can serve multiple purposes. A bar cart can stand in as a side table or entertainment console until you’re ready to party. (via So Haute)
Got any other rental decorating tips or tricks? Tried any of the above? Tell us in the comments below!