When you think of novelty desserts, yummies like Peep dessert recipes or unicorn cakes probably come to mind. Or maybe it’s coffee in a cone that really strikes your fancy. Either way, you should also know that there are *tons* of creative, colorful desserts all over the world. From Germany to Japan, countries spanning the globe have come up with desserts that satisfy both the taste buds and the food artist in us all. Here are 10 of our favorites.
1. Cotton Candy: Walk through the streets of Seoul, and you’ll undoubtedly come across all manner of cotton candy vendors. This popular and pretty street food comes in cones, in milkshakes, on top of chocolate — the options are limitless. (Photo via Treasures & Travels)
2. Hokey Pokey Ice Cream: Next time you stop over in The Land of the Long White Cloud, be sure to pick yourself up some Hokey Pokey. This popular flavor combo features vanilla bean ice cream and delicious clumps of honeycomb toffee. (Photo via Sugar and Charm)
3. Cat Cakes: Japanese pastry art is all about the cats. These adorable little guys surrounding a big vat of layered cake and pudding are case in point. (Photo via Caroline & Laura’s Tea Break)
4. Acai Bowls: Acai bowls aren’t JUST eaten as a dessert in Brazil. They can stand in for breakfast, lunch, brunch, a beach snack… you can really eat them whenever you want. Just be sure to get a *real* acai bowl (you know, made with acai), rather than trendy smoothie bowls made from other fruits. (Photo via Dr. Dennis Gross)
5. Macarons: Not to be confused with macaroons, macarons are a delicate French treat made with whipped meringue. Pretty and uber-yummy, they also happen to come in all the colors and flavors of the rainbow. (Photo via Anges de Sucre)
6. Spaghetti Eis: If you thought this was spaghetti, think again. What appears to be a bed of noodles at first glance is actually a plate of ice cream. Yep. And it’s topped with a strawberry jelly that masquerades as pasta sauce. (Photo via Octoberfest for Teens)
7. Trix Krispies: If there’s one thing the US is known for introducing to the world, it’s sugary breakfast cereals. And we’re not ashamed. These super-sweet and colorful Trix Krispies are a play on one of our other favorite American desserts… good, old fashioned Rice Krispie Treats. (Photo via Cravings of a Lunatic)
8. Battenberg Cake: Like many of the items on our list, this *technically* isn’t a novelty dessert if you’re actually across the pond. It’s a pretty traditional dish — but that doesn’t make it any less fun or colorful. (Photo via Mandy Mortimer)
9. Candy Cake: Chikenduza, or candy cake, is a favorite in Zimbabwe. These bad boys are essentially sweetened breads topped with a colorful, delicious, candy-like sweet icing. (Photo via Tara’s Multicultural Table)
10. Mooncakes: HOW PRETTY are these traditional Chinese desserts? Seriously though, these puffy pastries are often stuffed with sweetened jams and fillings. But every once in a while, you’ll come across a savory version as well. (Photo via China Sichuan Food)
Follow Brit + Co on Pinterest for more travel-inspired dishes and desserts from across the globe!