Once the weather warms up, it’s all we can do to keep ourselves outdoors. The blooming flowers, sunny skies and green grass just beg for picnics, flirty pastel dresses and outdoor spring brunches complete with refreshing cocktails. The one thing springtime brings that we’re not into? Allergies. Runny noses, puffy eyes, congested sinuses — they’re just the worst. And while there are many effective medications out there to help alleviate your allergies, it also helps if you keep your home as allergy-proof as possible. Below are six home gadgets guaranteed to take the sniffles out of springtime.
1. Honeywell Bluetooth Smart True HEPA Allergen Remover ($250): This wicked smart air purifier is hooked up with Bluetooth technology. Once it’s synced up to your phone, you can create customized operating schedules, be notified when the filter needs to be changed and (coolest of all) the machine can turn itself on and off based on local pollen count by using your location services.
2. Ivation GDM36 Thermo-Electric Dehumidifier ($119): When we’re talking warm weather allergies, you’ll want a dehumidifier, not a humidifier. Humidity breeds mold, mildew and dust mites, which are major allergy triggers. A dehumidifier will take the dampness out of the room, effectively squashing those nasty allergens’ ability to survive. This one packs a big punch for its modest size and is much quieter than other dehumidifiers its size.
3. Vicks VUL520P Mini Filter-Free Cool Mist Humidifier ($40): On the other hand, if you suffer from cold weather allergies, the common dryness in the air can irritate your sinuses, making your allergies worse. Putting a humidifier by your bed helps keep your nose, airways and sinuses moist (sorry, we had to), which keeps inflammation at bay.
4. Eureka Boss Smart-Vac Upright HEPA Vacuum Cleaner ($200): Rated #1 by Consumer Reports for allergy control, this Eureka vacuum is a bargain at $200. It’s great for both carpet and bare-floor cleaning, so you can knock out the whole house at once. And with a three-stage dust trap system and HEPA filtration system, you can rest assured it’s picking up pollen, pet dander and anything else disturbing your sinuses.
5. Halovie Allergy Reliever Laser Therapy ($41): Combining light treatment with massage therapy, this little guy helps relieve allergy symptoms safely and naturally — albeit a little strangely. The device comes with two nose probes, one for the light sensor and one for the massage pulser that work in combination to clear your nasal passage. Set the timer for 10 to 15 minutes, secure the pieces in your nose and be ready for clearer sinuses and nasal passages!
6. Bissell 1940 Powerfresh Steam Mop ($100): Between your shoes tracking it in and it coming through your windows, your floors are constantly assaulted with pollen. Regularly cleaning your floors helps control that, and the heat and water from a steam mop helps keep them extra squeaky clean.
Are there any gadgets that you swear by for allergy relief? Tweet us @BritandCo and give us the scoop!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.