For many of us amateur makeup mavens, we learned all we know about makeup from YouTube beauty gurus. While we were trying out that baking technique, experimenting with cat eye or even unintentionally clown-contouring, many times it was done with the guidance of some beauty vlogger video. UK-based makeup artist, Jake-Jamie Ward, or The Beauty Boy as he’s known on YouTube, is somewhat of a newcomer in the vlogger-verse, but he’s already poised to be a rockstar. He joined the site in September of last year and has already accrued almost 5000 subscribers and earning features in the likes of Cosmopolitan and DailyMail.
Just why is he so outrageously popular, you ask? Because The Beauty Boy has honed and perfected totally natural-looking, no-makeup makeup for men. Yup, over 72 percent of his viewers are fellas. Makeup has too long been considered a girl thing, but Jake-Jamie is further opening up that world to men. We chatted with the artist and he gave us his list of top tips on how to achieve that flawless #iwokeuplikethis look that everyone can use!
1. Prep the skin: “To create a glowing complexion, the skin needs to be hydrated. Foundation will never look natural, if it clings to all your dry patches,” Jake-Jamie tells us. His two favorite moisturizers are Embroylisse Lait-Crème Concentré ($28) and Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Cream ($100). “Trust me, these two products will change your life!” he swears.
2. Use a damp sponge: “Apply your foundation with a damp sponge,” he tells Brit + Co. This will help you create a dewier, more natural skin texture. Jake-Jamie prefers the RealTechnique’s Miracle Complexion Sponge ($6) He says, “I think this is EVEN better than the Beauty Blender. Honestly, this sponge changes makeup application as we know it creating a base that just screams perfection!”
3. Build foundation in layers: Rather than buying different types of foundation, Jake-Jamie advises going with a full coverage one and using it in multiple ways. On good skin days, you can mix foundation with moisturizer for sheer coverage. On bad skin days, however, layer the product thinly until it builds up to where you need it to be. “Most people think of full coverage as thick, caky and completely detectable on the skin — I disagree. It’s all in the application.” His “all time favorite foundation” is Estée Lauder’s Double Wear Foundation ($38), but also likes bareMinerals Matte Foundation ($28).
4. Apply bronzer sparingly: One key element to natural looking makeup is bronzer. But, with a light touch. “Don’t apply bronzer all over you’re face, just to area’s were the sun would naturally hit,” he tells us. Both Charlotte Tilbury’s Bronze & Glow palette ($68) on the left and MAC’s Bronzing Powder in Matte ($26) on the right have made cameos in his vids.
5. Leave a gap: This is probably one of the best-kept secrets to achieving that no-makeup look. “Avoid using under eye concealer too close to the lash line, this really emphasizes the fact you are wearing makeup,” he advises. That makes total sense, because generally when you’re having a tête-à-tête with someone, they’re looking at your face right around the eyes. Keep that area clean for a bare-faced illusion. He’s used Estée Lauder’s Double Wear Concealer ($24) and Laura Mercier’s Secret Camouflage ($34) in a couple of his videos.
Check out one of makeup tutorials below.
What do you think of Jake’s videos? Did you learn anything? Tell us in the comments below!
(Photos via @makeupbyjakejamie)