10 Next-Level Gadgets to Make Your Home “Smart”
The future is here, and, as predicted, it’s full of gadgets, gizmos, and ultramodern technology to make our lives safer, easier, efficient, and FUN. We’re talking smartphone-controlled lightbulbs, newfangled doorbells, genius refrigerators and devices that will respond to, “How fast can a cheetah run?” in under a second. Now, more than ever, you can bump up your home’s IQ with quite literally brilliant products.
With countless products, name brands, and on-trend selections, JCPenney is a default destination for home solutions — especially when it comes to smart products. So we’re teaming up with JCPenney to share 10 smart home devices and appliances we’ve got our eye on. Scroll on!
1. Netatmo Welcome Indoor Security Camera: Y’all ready for this? This security camera actually recognizes faces, then sends the names of the person spotted directly to your smartphone. You’ll know the moment your kiddos are home from school, when your dog walker stops by to pick up the pup, or if your best bud used the spare house key to “borrow” those velvet boots she’s had her eye on forever ;) What’s more, when Welcome hears an alarm, (any alarm — from smoke detector, to security alarm, to siren), it will ping you and record a video.
2. Google Home: Where do we begin? It seems inevitable that the smart speaker will soon be as widespread as the garage door clicker. Powered by the Google assistant, you can chat with this device about pretty much anything. (Ask it to tell you a joke!) Plus, it can add plans to your calendar, recite a lasagna recipe, play endless hours of news, tunes, and podcasts, play mad libs with you, and it has an ever-growing list of Easter eggs that we can’t wait to discover.
3. Ring Video Doorbell: Whether you’re in your kitchen or across the country, this nifty video doorbell allows you to see and talk to whoever is standing on your front step. It features 30-foot motion detection, night vision, and a 180-degree field of view, so you’ll be fully in the know via your smartphone or tablet, no matter where you are. Bonus: You can install it in about five minutes, with no need to call in the pros.
4. LG ENERGY STAR® InstaView™ Door-in-Door® Refrigerator: Would it be weird to put a fridge on our holiday wish list? This LG Energy Star® keeps food fresher, longer with Smart Cooling technology, and has enough real estate for each and every item on our grocery list. It offers a whopping 30 cubic feet, complete with space-efficient ice and water dispenser and a double-drawer freezer. The InstaView™ feature is pretty nifty too.
5. Crock-Pot® 6-qt. Smart Slow Cooker Enabled with WeMo™: Seeing as how we write about crockpots frequently, you *know* we’re big fans. Why? It’s a low-maintenance way to cook our food, and it often brews up the most mouthwatering meals. This smart slow cooker takes it to the next level, allowing us to adjust the temperature, cook time, and more straight from our smartphones. This means we can crank out even *more* varied recipes in our favorite cooking method. Potluck, anyone?
6. Honeywell Lyric T5 WiFi Thermostat: Picture this: It’s cold. It’s too early. The windows have unexpectedly frosted, you’re in your warm, toasty bed, and your thermostat is in the other room. With Honeywell Lyric T5, never again will you suffer the travesty of leaving your bed to adjust the temperature. Simply turn up the heat from your smartphone, sit back, and relax as your thermostat cranks up to a perfectly tolerable temperature. You’re welcome.
7. Samsung Connect Home Smart Wi-Fi System – 3-Pack: No more crowding in the living room for the best WiFi signal. Install these pods throughout your home for WiFi coverage from wall to shining wall, for up to 4500 square feet. This router also acts as a hub for other smart devices in your home, such as compatible cameras, lights, refrigerators (!), voice assistants, and more. And of course, everything can be controlled from a handy app on your smartphone.
8. Sylvania Smart A19 Full Color Light Bulb: Come home to a light, bright house with these brilliant color light bulbs. Paired with the smartphone app Lightify, these bulbs can be turned on whenever, from wherever, and change the room’s color as you please. We’re not just talking rainbow shades: It includes hues that can make you feel better and more productive too. Bonus: Paired with Google Home, you can switch up the lighting with a simple voice command.
9. Samsung FlexDry™ Electric Dryer: If having an in-home washer/dryer unit is achieving the American Dream, then having *this* dryer is like winning the lottery. This bad boy lets you flat-dry delicates while simultaneously tumble-drying everyday garments. What’s more, the Eco Dry function uses up to 25 percent less energy for every load, *and* you can remotely monitor the dryer’s cycle time from your phone.
10. LG Electric Slide-In Range With ProBake Convection™: A bigger oven and a faster-to-boil stove means more food, faster. Need we say more? Oh, it easily lines up with standard kitchen countertops, despite its 6.3 cubic feet capacity. Win, win, win.
What smart appliances do you have your eye on? Share with us on Twitter by tagging @BritandCo and #SoWorthIt!
Design: Torii Burnett
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)