10 Reasons Why Snail Mail Is the Best Mail
Remember being a kid and how getting mail was one of the greatest joys in life? Your parents would check in the mailbox and, in the midst of bills and coupons, find an envelope addressed to you. Would it be a party invitation or a letter from a friend who moved away? The possibilities were endless, but always good. In today’s digital age, people don’t send as much mail as they used to, but that doesn’t mean the fun of giving and getting mail has ended.
Mail has always and will always be awesome. Getting exciting mail doesn’t have to be a distant childhood memory. There’s lots of reasons why we should send more letters and cards. We teamed up with Studio Ink to put together a list of the best reasons why snail mail is the best mail. Let’s get to it!
1. Sending mail will surprise and delight people. Part of adulting means getting mail in the form of bills and coupons. Boring! Surprise someone by sending a handwritten note to liven up their mailbox.
2. Letters are keepsakes. Unlike the typical email or text, people tend to actually keep physical letters and cards. Your good wishes will probably be remembered and cherished for years.
3. You can practice your lettering. Use mail as a way to pick up (or practice) lettering! Practice makes perfect, so send lots and lots of beautifully hand-lettered notes!
4. Letters show more care and value than just a text. It’s really easy to type a message on your phone and hit “Send.” It takes more time and care to write a note to send to someone, and they’ll feel that.
5. You can get creative with your mail. Treat your card and envelope as a blank canvas. Whether you’re adding glitter, watercolor, confetti or stickers to your mail, there’s lots of opportunities to go crazy and have fun! Remember to keep the address legible though. :)
6. You can send letters to and from anywhere. You can send mail pretty easily in most countries and it’s a tiny act that’ll let your faraway friends know you’re thinking about them. Mail is the best souvenir, hands down.
7. You’ll probably get a letter back. Sending a letter or card will probably prompt the receiver to send something back— thus starting a beautiful letter exchange.
8. It’s a small, inexpensive gesture that goes a long way. Cards generally cost only a few dollars and mailing them costs even less. Making someone smile doesn’t always have to cost a lot — send some mail!
9. You’ll stand out. One tried-and-true job interview tip is to follow up with a thank you email. Make yourself stand out from the other interviewees by sending a physical thank you card. Not interviewing for jobs at the moment? Wish someone “Happy Birthday” with a card instead of writing on her Facebook wall to make her feel extra special.
10. Because people have loved letters since… forever. People have been exchanging letters for nearly all of history and the joy of giving and receiving mail endures. Mail makes people happy in a different way than texts and emails. Brighten someone’s day by sending them mail.
Mail has my stamp of approval.
How many people will you send mail to? Share your snail mail picture with us on Instagram by using the hashtag #britstagram!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.