10 Reasons Why Snail Mail Is the Best Mail
Remember being a kid and how getting mail was one of the greatest joys in life? Your parents would check in the mailbox and, in the midst of bills and coupons, find an envelope addressed to you. Would it be a party invitation or a letter from a friend who moved away? The possibilities were endless, but always good. In today’s digital age, people don’t send as much mail as they used to, but that doesn’t mean the fun of giving and getting mail has ended.
Mail has always and will always be awesome. Getting exciting mail doesn’t have to be a distant childhood memory. There’s lots of reasons why we should send more letters and cards. We teamed up with Studio Ink to put together a list of the best reasons why snail mail is the best mail. Let’s get to it!
1. Sending mail will surprise and delight people. Part of adulting means getting mail in the form of bills and coupons. Boring! Surprise someone by sending a handwritten note to liven up their mailbox.
2. Letters are keepsakes. Unlike the typical email or text, people tend to actually keep physical letters and cards. Your good wishes will probably be remembered and cherished for years.
3. You can practice your lettering. Use mail as a way to pick up (or practice) lettering! Practice makes perfect, so send lots and lots of beautifully hand-lettered notes!
4. Letters show more care and value than just a text. It’s really easy to type a message on your phone and hit “Send.” It takes more time and care to write a note to send to someone, and they’ll feel that.
5. You can get creative with your mail. Treat your card and envelope as a blank canvas. Whether you’re adding glitter, watercolor, confetti or stickers to your mail, there’s lots of opportunities to go crazy and have fun! Remember to keep the address legible though. :)
6. You can send letters to and from anywhere. You can send mail pretty easily in most countries and it’s a tiny act that’ll let your faraway friends know you’re thinking about them. Mail is the best souvenir, hands down.
7. You’ll probably get a letter back. Sending a letter or card will probably prompt the receiver to send something back— thus starting a beautiful letter exchange.
8. It’s a small, inexpensive gesture that goes a long way. Cards generally cost only a few dollars and mailing them costs even less. Making someone smile doesn’t always have to cost a lot — send some mail!
9. You’ll stand out. One tried-and-true job interview tip is to follow up with a thank you email. Make yourself stand out from the other interviewees by sending a physical thank you card. Not interviewing for jobs at the moment? Wish someone “Happy Birthday” with a card instead of writing on her Facebook wall to make her feel extra special.
10. Because people have loved letters since… forever. People have been exchanging letters for nearly all of history and the joy of giving and receiving mail endures. Mail makes people happy in a different way than texts and emails. Brighten someone’s day by sending them mail.
Mail has my stamp of approval.
How many people will you send mail to? Share your snail mail picture with us on Instagram by using the hashtag #britstagram!
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.