These Were the Top 11 Style Trends of 2015
Taking a quick look through your (super organized for winter, natch) closet, one thing is for certain: 2015 totally nailed it in the sartorial department. From throwback-inspired styles to unexpected twists on everyday pieces (hello, 21st-century denim), there was no shortage of fashion-forward trends to follow. And luckily for your wallets, in the new year, your 2015 wardrobe promises some serious staying power. Revisit the year’s fashion with us and feel satisfied knowing you’ve invested in some majorly stylish threads.
1. ’70s Style-Inspired Style: Designers brought the disco era back in a BIG way this year with far-out flares, plunging necklines and all-suede everything. The seemingly niche-y trend took off thanks to its clean lines, modern silhouettes, versatile neutral-toned color palette and undeniably romantic vibe, making it a fave of both front-row scenesters and fashion-loving ladies everywhere.
2. Anything but Skinny Jeans: Skinny jeans will always have a place in our wardrobes, but over the last year, we’ve had to make way for a whole new flock of denim. With crazy covetable cuts like cropped flares, boyfriend jeans, culottes, wide-leg denim, overalls and more, the whole off-duty dressing game permanently changed.
Mother Denim Maverick Jean ($105), M.i.h. Linda Jean ($265), ASOS Cropped Flare Jeans With Patch Pockets in Vintage Wash ($63) + J.Crew McGuire High-Waisted Flares ($216)
3. Skinny Scarves: Both statement baubles and dainty chains took a back seat to a totally unexpected retro piece: the skinny scarf. The delicate add-on packs major Stevie Nicks vibes, introducing a rocker edge to classic tees and injecting a free-wheelin’ feminine note to boho dresses and structured shirts.
4. Menswear-Inspired Flats: Flats became a major fixture among the fashion set this year — even despite Cannes’ no-flats-allowed policy. Everyone from editors to big-name celebs was sporting the low-riding kicks at big-deal events like Fashion Week, award shows and beyond. In all of these occasions, shoes with old-timey, masculine flair were the style of choice. Loafers, oxfords and bluchers pulled their weight to add tomboy charm to femme looks.
5. Mini Bags: This year was all about taking a much-needed break from larger-than-life, shoulder-aching handbags and embracing more shrunken-down styles. They might not be able to fit much more than a phone, lipstick and a pint-sized wallet, but they turned the mandatory pocketbook into a very necessary accessory.
6. Pointy-Toe Lace-Up Flats: While the expression “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” rings true for many classics, sometimes putting a modern spin on a wardrobe essential is a recipe for success. The ballet flat is one such example. The ordinary steppers became *the* must-have of the season with the addition of a pointy-toe and dramatic straps.
Ivanka Trump Trish Pointy Toe d’Orsay Ghillie Flat ($140), M. Gemmi The Brezza ($248), Gap Lace-Up Ballet Flats ($50) + Topshop Finest Pom-Pom Velvet Ghillies ($48)
7. Velvet: While suede was definitely a stand-out fabric of 2015, super soft velvet slithered in and held its own. The iconic ‘90s fabric spread like wildfire through collections, turning up in everything from party dresses to classic camis and athleisure-inspired pants. Striking the perfect balance of cozy and luxe vibes, it’s a welcome addition to our cold-weather wardrobe.
8. Capes: Any less-than-outstanding outerwear just wasn’t going to fly this year, and the cape did not disappoint. Instantly elevating everything from LBDs to classic denim, this chic topper kept us cozy to boot.
9. Off-the-Shoulder Tops and Dresses: You couldn’t walk down the street this summer without spotting at least one off-the-shoulder frock or top showing off perfectly sun-kissed shoulders. For winter, the ultra feminine silhouette got upgraded with luxe fabrics and long sleeves for a sophisticated and seasonally appropriate feel.
10. (Faux) Fur Accents: For fall and winter 2015, not just any accessories would do. From vibrant, oversized coats to eye-catching earmuffs and super soft bags, faux fur accents ensured that cold weather wouldn’t get in the way of achieving haute style status.
Urbancode Faux Fur Clutch Bag With Optional Shoulder Strap ($162), Ann Taylor Faux Fur Earmuffs ($45), Charlotte Simone Shaggy Stole ($281) + H&M Faux Fur Jacket ($129)
11. Lazy-Girl Style: This year was basically a lazy girl’s dream, with the introduction of athleisure and oversized everything making big waves. Trainers reigned supreme, joggers made their way into the workplace and big cozy knits became *the* must-have piece. The easy-going look is totally game-changing, making it easy as ever to look stylish, even on days you just can’t motivate.
What was your favorite 2015 trend? Tell us on Twitter!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.