8 Amazing Travel Destinations for Vegetarian Foodies
If you’re living the veggie lifestyle, you know pretty much every dish has a vegetarian version that is awesome. Contrary to what some may believe, it’s not all about salads all the time — although those are definitely an important part of any nutritious diet. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be a struggle to find something to eat when you’re dining out or if you’re heading to a friend’s house for dinner. If you’re traveling, figuring out where to get vegetarian-friendly food can be even more of a challenge, especially if you’re hoping to eat healthy. Luckily, there are many destinations where finding meat-free options is a total cinch. Keep reading for our fave veggie-loving locales.
1. Portland, Oregon: There are so many vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Portland that it’s hard to choose just a couple, making it an obvious must-visit. The Pacific Northwest, in general, is really veggie-friendly, but Portland is regarded as its vegetarian hub. For starters, visit Farmspirit — buy tickets ahead of time and be treated to a tasting menu, or Harlow, where there are always delish daily specials.
2. Dublin, Ireland: Dublin is hot right now. With lots of new businesses and a booming tech scene (Google and Airbnb both have offices there!), the city is really a completely international community. With people from various backgrounds comes a plethora of food options, including lots of veggie ones. If you find yourself in this beautiful historic city, check out The Happy Pear, where you can find a whole host of meat-free and also vegan dishes.
3. Sydney, Australia: Health is a pretty big deal in Australia. After all, the city sits on the beach, so swimwear is always top of mind. Because of the health-conscious vibe, different styles of eating are fully accepted and catered to there. There are plenty of vegetarian establishments to visit, but Bread & Circus, with its garden vibe, is a must. Also worth a try is Pilgrims, where you can find general vegetarian food during the day and a completely Mexican menu at night. Yum!
4. Los Angeles, California: LA is one of the few places you can go and no one will bat an eye when you ask for a vegetarian option. Home of the iconic Cafe Gratitude, the veggie resources are plentiful. Visit Plant Food and Wine for their gorgeous outdoor space and equally awesome variety of menu choices.
View this post on Instagram
Ragda puri Location : Canon Pavbhaji Credits : @foodiemumbaikar Dm us to get featured or #mumbaifoodicious #mffoodtrail #mumbaifood #foodie #foodporn #foodstagram #roadside #chaat #vscoam #follow #foodphoto #foodphotography #foodblogger
A post shared by MumbaiFoodicious (@mumbaifoodicious) on
5. Mumbai, India: India is probably the ultimate vegetarian-friendly country, since much of the population does not eat meat for religious reasons. No matter what city you visit, it’s pretty much 100 percent likely that you’ll find many dishes to choose from. Packaged food in the country clearly states whether or not it’s vegetarian, so you won’t have any trouble figuring out if you can eat that snack food or not. In terms of eating out, there’s a lot of incredible street food to choose from, and pretty much any restaurant you walk into will have something you can try.
6. Italy: Surprisingly, Italy is a great place to travel if you’re vegetarian. Sure, there are lots of meat dishes, but there are also tons of pasta plates that revolve mainly around carbs and cheese. It might not be healthy, but it’s definitely vegetarian. And vacation is for indulging, right? It’s basically impossible to choose just one city in the country to visit, but rest assured, no matter where you go you’ll find something amazing to eat. If you find yourself in Rome, check out Restaurant Roscioli, where there are plenty of choices that don’t involve meat or fish. In Florence or Venice, the very fancy but very worth it Caffe Florian is a classic.
7. Singapore: Many parts of Asia are super limited in terms of vegetarian options, but Singapore is absolutely a standout. The country is a food haven in general, and the vegetarian cuisine here is no exception. You’ll find everything from completely raw restaurants like Afterglow to vegan burger joints like VeganBurg, which was a catering partner on one of Taylor Swift’s tours. If they’re T-Swift approved, that’s good enough for us!
View this post on Instagram
Take away lunches from £6.50. Say what??? . . . . . . . #mildreds #vegan #whatveganseat #vegans #vegansofinstagram #vegansofig #vegansofldn #vegansoflondon #healthyeating #cleaneating #healthy #vegancheese #vegantakeaway #veganjunkfood #lunchspecial #londonvegan #londonspecial #freshjuice #juicebar #saladbar #vegansaladbar #nirvana
A post shared by Mildreds Restaurants (@mildredsrestaurants) on
8. London, UK: Another crazy-international city, there’s no kind of food that you’ll have a hard time finding in London. From Japanese to Indian to New American and every cuisine in between, there’s a vegetarian restaurant for everyone here. Mildreds in Soho is a go-to spot for vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike, and The Gate is worth a visit too, especially if you’re looking for a full, hearty meal.
What’s your favorite vegetarian-friendly destination? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photos via @breadcircus and Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.