8 Amazing Travel Destinations for Vegetarian Foodies
If you’re living the veggie lifestyle, you know pretty much every dish has a vegetarian version that is awesome. Contrary to what some may believe, it’s not all about salads all the time — although those are definitely an important part of any nutritious diet. Unfortunately, it can sometimes be a struggle to find something to eat when you’re dining out or if you’re heading to a friend’s house for dinner. If you’re traveling, figuring out where to get vegetarian-friendly food can be even more of a challenge, especially if you’re hoping to eat healthy. Luckily, there are many destinations where finding meat-free options is a total cinch. Keep reading for our fave veggie-loving locales.
1. Portland, Oregon: There are so many vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Portland that it’s hard to choose just a couple, making it an obvious must-visit. The Pacific Northwest, in general, is really veggie-friendly, but Portland is regarded as its vegetarian hub. For starters, visit Farmspirit — buy tickets ahead of time and be treated to a tasting menu, or Harlow, where there are always delish daily specials.
2. Dublin, Ireland: Dublin is hot right now. With lots of new businesses and a booming tech scene (Google and Airbnb both have offices there!), the city is really a completely international community. With people from various backgrounds comes a plethora of food options, including lots of veggie ones. If you find yourself in this beautiful historic city, check out The Happy Pear, where you can find a whole host of meat-free and also vegan dishes.
3. Sydney, Australia: Health is a pretty big deal in Australia. After all, the city sits on the beach, so swimwear is always top of mind. Because of the health-conscious vibe, different styles of eating are fully accepted and catered to there. There are plenty of vegetarian establishments to visit, but Bread & Circus, with its garden vibe, is a must. Also worth a try is Pilgrims, where you can find general vegetarian food during the day and a completely Mexican menu at night. Yum!
4. Los Angeles, California: LA is one of the few places you can go and no one will bat an eye when you ask for a vegetarian option. Home of the iconic Cafe Gratitude, the veggie resources are plentiful. Visit Plant Food and Wine for their gorgeous outdoor space and equally awesome variety of menu choices.
5. Mumbai, India: India is probably the ultimate vegetarian-friendly country, since much of the population does not eat meat for religious reasons. No matter what city you visit, it’s pretty much 100 percent likely that you’ll find many dishes to choose from. Packaged food in the country clearly states whether or not it’s vegetarian, so you won’t have any trouble figuring out if you can eat that snack food or not. In terms of eating out, there’s a lot of incredible street food to choose from, and pretty much any restaurant you walk into will have something you can try.
6. Italy: Surprisingly, Italy is a great place to travel if you’re vegetarian. Sure, there are lots of meat dishes, but there are also tons of pasta plates that revolve mainly around carbs and cheese. It might not be healthy, but it’s definitely vegetarian. And vacation is for indulging, right? It’s basically impossible to choose just one city in the country to visit, but rest assured, no matter where you go you’ll find something amazing to eat. If you find yourself in Rome, check out Restaurant Roscioli, where there are plenty of choices that don’t involve meat or fish. In Florence or Venice, the very fancy but very worth it Caffe Florian is a classic.
7. Singapore: Many parts of Asia are super limited in terms of vegetarian options, but Singapore is absolutely a standout. The country is a food haven in general, and the vegetarian cuisine here is no exception. You’ll find everything from completely raw restaurants like Afterglow to vegan burger joints like VeganBurg, which was a catering partner on one of Taylor Swift’s tours. If they’re T-Swift approved, that’s good enough for us!
8. London, UK: Another crazy-international city, there’s no kind of food that you’ll have a hard time finding in London. From Japanese to Indian to New American and every cuisine in between, there’s a vegetarian restaurant for everyone here. Mildreds in Soho is a go-to spot for vegetarians, vegans and carnivores alike, and The Gate is worth a visit too, especially if you’re looking for a full, hearty meal.
What’s your favorite vegetarian-friendly destination? Let us know @BritandCo!
(Featured photos via @breadcircus and Getty)