8 Fitness Pros on What They Always Keep in Their Gym Bag
Stocking your gym bag with all the right things is seriously important for ensuring you actually make it to the gym. After all, the less you have to think about packing all your stuff, the more likely you are to have a seamless transition from home to work to gym, or vice versa. It’s not just throwing in your best sneakers and workout gear either. You have to make sure you’ve got the ideal nutrition, beauty and tech items too. So who better than fitness instructors to tell you what you need to keep stocked in your gym tote? We asked eight of our favorites to tell us what sweaty essentials they can’t live without.
1. Steph Dietz, Lead Cycologist at Cyc Fitness: “Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 On-Ear Wireless Headphones ($300) are my absolute favorite! With having to make playlists every day, it’s important to have something comfortable and quality on my ears, and it doesn’t hurt that they are so stylish!” We definitely wouldn’t mind wearing these gold stunners around town.
2. Allie Cohen, Trainer at Barry’s Bootcamp: “Invisibobble Hair Ties ($8, pack of three) are my favorite because they keep my hair in place and look cute on your wrist. You would think they would get tangled, but actually, these don’t leave any dents in your hair and don’t tangle!” It’s true (we can speak from experience): These fun little hair fasteners are the best. Plus, they won’t leave a mark on your wrist like regular elastics.
3. Alexis Novak, Yoga Instructor at Love Yoga Space: There’s nothing better than not just smelling okay after a workout, but actually smelling GOOD. “I love GIVESCENT ($49),” says Novak. “This small bottle holds the perfect refreshing, not overpowering, hypoallergenic formula to have you smelling and feeling beautiful after your workout. Designed by a yoga instructor for the mindful man or woman.”
4. Jill Franklin, Owner of Aerial Physique: “The J-Boss Jumpsuit ($110) is a must-have item I carry with me everywhere I go! This two-toned onesie appears to be two pieces. It’s perfect for aerial and yoga classes, not to mention it’s super comfy. No more worrying about your shirt rising up when you go upside down!” True that — not having to worry about your shirt flying in your face is pretty key when you’re attempting tough yoga poses or trying out aerial fitness.
5. Taylor Gainor, Co-Founder of LIT Method: “I spray Herbivore’s Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Face Mist ($32) on my face if I’m on the go after a sweaty workout — it keeps me looking fresh and my skin hydrated!” Who doesn’t love a refreshing face spray? Pro tip: Give this a try before an early morning workout to help you wake up!
6. Emma Belluomo, Instructor at IMAXShift: “Right now in my bag I have Savvy Traveler Cleansing Wipes ($10 for 10), my headphones, an RXBAR ($26 for 12), my water bottle and an extra pair of socks.” FYI, headphones were pretty constant across all instructors, so those seem to be a universal must-have, no matter what your workout of choice is!
7. Nikki Warren, Co-founder of Kaia FIT: Warren is super into Vega Sport Pre-Workout Energizer powder ($50), a supplement many people take before getting their sweat on to help them stay high energy. “The lemon-lime is my favorite flavor of this plant-based energizer that gives me an all-natural energy boost without the jitters that come from your typical pre-workout.”
8. Stephanie Petruccio, Instructor at SLT: “I have rosacea on my cheeks and strenuous activity is a trigger for it (how perfect for a fitness instructor, right?!). Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleansing Cloths ($12 for a two-pack) are my go-to because they do not irritate my skin and leave me feeling refreshed!” Sometimes the simplest things are the best.
What do you always carry in your gym bag? Tweet us @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.