From Lisa Frank to Fraggle Rock: 50 Gifts for Children of the ’90s
Was it the promise of Lisa Frank and Fraggle Rock that brought you here? Or the unbelievably awesome Carlton sweatshirt? Whatever it was, we’re glad you’re here. It’s time to dive deep into the rabbit hole of the ’90s, from Ren & Stimpy to Nirvana to Ice Cube — with lots of pizza parties in between. Now, cue up this awesome ’90s playlist and let’s do this thing!
1. Ripple Junction Saved by the Bell Jesse Spano I’m So Excited Shirt ($18): We’ll kick it off with a classic. This awesome t-shirt depicts that pierced-into-our-memories scene from Saved by the Bell, when overachiever Jesse Spano took caffeine pills in order to study for the SATs, get into Stanford, and produce a music video all at the same time. #imsoscared
2. ByScatterbrain Clueless Pin ($10+): Wow. Way harsh. More Clueless goodness here.
3. Busted Tees ’90s Heartthrob Tee ($25): A guy that can transition smoothly from ’80s to ’90s heartthrob will make us swoon every time.
4. Redbubble Fraggle Rock T-Shirt ($20): Dance your cares away; work is for another day!
5. Etsy Vintage Police and Doctor Treasure Troll Dolls ($4 and $12): Confession: I still have a plastic box filled with trolls that I collected in the ’90s. (Related: This will not be the only weird thing you learn about me in this roundup.)
6. Moss Copenhagen ’90s Child T-Shirt Dress ($41): Imagine how cool you’ll look to the other kids at the skate park.
7. Goosebumps #57: My Best Friend Is Invisible by R.L. Stine ($1+): Get your face close to your screen for this one, and look at the expression on that cat’s face!
8. Redbubble Lisa Frank iPhone Cases ($25+): Gotta give props to our girl Lisa.
9. Dr. Martens 1460 Boots ($135): We’re on the fence about the whole Dr. Martens being back in style thing, but I’m pretty psyched I never got rid of my purple patent leather boots. Air wair for life!
10. Urban Outfitters Space Jam Dye Tee ($28): Until seeing this amazing t-shirt, we had totally forgotten about Bugs and the other ‘toons and their famous intergalactic basketball game.
11. Sweet Valley Twins, No. 1: Best Friends ($3+): Remember Sweet Valley? Before it was a TV show and got all weird and scandalous?
12. Redbubble Smiley Face Leggings ($44): Boom. The first smiley face on this list. Rock these leggings any day that needs a little sunshine.
13. City Hunter Fresh Prince of Bel-Air 5 Panel Bike Hat ($11): Now this is a story about the best hat ever.
14. Paper Jam Press Posters ($30+): All of the prints on Paper Jam Press are pretty much… our jam!
15. Nerd Fuel Super Street Fighter II Mug ($16+): Get ready to kick butt all day when you make your morning coffee in this mug.
16. Vans Old Skool Yin Yang Sneakers ($46): Only the coolest kids came to class in Vans sneakers. These are a nice throwback with the Yin Yang emblazoned on them.
17. The Turtle Names Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Shirt ($12+): Celebrate your Turtle Power!
20. millypins Snack Pack Pin Pack ($17): The best part about coming home from school was to indulge in all the snacks your mom didn’t approve of you eating.
21. Rudeshop Ren & Stimpy Tee ($22): Quieeeet you iiiiiidiottttt!
22. Nirvana Nevermind LP ($25): For folks who like to keep it classic, give this collector’s edition version of a truly iconic ’90s album.
23. Redbubble Unisex YO! MTV Raps T-Shirt ($20): Celebrate the show that brought rap into the mainstream.
24. Clarissa Explains It All on Amazon Instant Video ($2 per episode): Best discovery while curating this roundup? Finding out that Clarissa Explains It All is on Amazon instant.
25. Urban Outfitters Vintage Plaid A-Line Skirt ($49): Guaranteed, you’ll feel more stylish than Cher Horowitz. As if!
26. Fifty Fashion Looks That Changed the 1990s by Paula Reed ($20): Take a walk down memory lane with this glossy fashion book.
27. Let’s Paint the ’90s! by Jason Rekulak ($13): We needed to order this book like… yesterday! Color in Vanilla Ice, the Olsen Twins, Dennis Rodman, and other favorites from the ’90s.
28. Rokoko Flared Sleeve Mini Dress With Yin Yang Motif ($42): You’ll be the most balanced and peaceful person walking down the street in this dress.
29. The Baby-Sitters Club #1: Kristy’s Great Idea by Ann M. Martin ($4+): Kristy is never short on great ideas; let’s be real.
30. Urban Outfitters Whatever Forever Striped Crew-Neck Sweater ($59): It’s every 90’s kids’ favorite catchphrase — aside from “talk to the hand.”
31. Pressman The Oregon Trail Board Game ($15): Yes, you can bring your party all the way to the wild west, and you don’t even need an old PC from your school library to do it.
32. Pretty Penny Prints Ugh! As If! Print ($18+): Cher is not impressed.
33. Lip Smackers Dr. Pepper Trio ($5): Need. These. Now.
34. Sakura 10-Piece Gelly Roll Metallic Gel Pen Set ($15): These babies were essential for diaries and passing secret class notes.
35. famedazed Donna Martin Graduates T-Shirt ($19+): You had to wait an extra season or two, but it did finally happen. And now old Donna is crafting her little heart out on the web, TV, and in her book.
36. The 1990s Coloring Book by James Grange ($8+): I totally gave this coloring book to Brit for her birthday. The old tech gadgets are our favorite part.
37. Urban Outfitters Cropped Velvet Tee ($34): More crop tops yo! This one has the added bonus of being made of velvet.
38. Caboodles On-the-Go-Girl Cosmetic Case ($13): Technically, Caboodles gained popularity at first in the ’80s. But, most ’90s girls had at least one of those.
39. Spencer’s Bayside Tigers Off-the-Shoulder Sweatshirt ($35): Gooooo Tigers!
40. NBC Store Central Perk Mug ($20): One word for you: Gunther.
41. Jack Wills Jersey Skater Dress in Check ($95): The only thing that would make this dress more ’90s would be if the velvet was crushed.
42. Redbubble Carlton Pullover Sweatshirt ($38): I may have just made this sweatshirt my desktop background.
43. Nickelodeon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Mini Glass Set (4 for $19): Party like the original partying turtles with these cheeky shot glasses.
44. Boy Meets World: The Complete Series ($90): Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Angela, Eric, and… FEENY! Go old school with your next weekend TV-watching binge.
45. heythrprincess Mrs. Jordan Catalano Pencils ($4): The only thing is… no one is totally over Jordan Catalano.
46. Now That’s What I Call The 1990s ($15): Pump up the jam at your next party.
47. Nickelodeon Glow-in-the-Dark Gak ($4): Stretch it, bounce it, and bubble it for lots of procrastinating fun.
48. MTV Daria Mad At the World Logo T-Shirt ($20): This might be the best t-shirt ever. La la la la la.
49. T-Shirt & Jeans Smiley Face Backpack ($25): More smiley face gear coming at ya.
50. Mixtape Table ($4,950): And finally, a serious splurge. We’ve been obsessing over this Mixtape table for well over a year, and we still dream of having it here at Brit + Co. In the words of Wayne, “It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.”
Additional reporting by Andrea Romano.
What’s your favorite item on this list? What other ’90s throwback items should we add to it? Let us know @BritandCo.
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.