Before cinnamon buns and pull apart bread were the big shots of the filled bread world, we had babka. Swirled with any number of tasty delights — chocolate, cinnamon, you name it! — the brioche-like coffee cake a thing of Old World beauty. These 12 mesmerizing babka recipes will have you channeling your inner bubbie in no time!
1. Apricot Cream Cheese Babka: Ribbons of fruity and creamy filling create a golden-hued swirl in the interior of this crumb-topped loaf. (via Brown Eyed Baker)
2. Chocolate Swirl Buns: Personal-sized baked goods are always a terrific way to go, and these buns are no exception! (via Smitten Kitchen)
3. Zucchini Almond Babka: Get your veggie on. (via Blackberry Eating)
4. Maple Roasted Pumpkin and Allspice Babka with Cinnamon Icing: We were sold upon spotting the word pumpkin; literally, everything else was just icing on the cake! (via What’s for Lunch, Honey?)
5. Cheese Babka With Raspberry Sauce: Farmers’ cheese and raspberry preserves mingle beautifully in the filling for this [raspberry] saucy babka. (via The Maker Girl)
6. Chocolate Babka French Toast with a Port Wine Reduction: Transform any leftover slices of babka into a delicious breakfast topped with a delicious homemade syrup. (via My Fare Foodie)
7. Sourdough Chocolate Cinnamon Babka: The experienced bakers out there may appreciate the challenge of making this sourdough brioche-based loaf. (via Sourdough Surprises)
8. Cherry Pecan Butter Babka (Vegan): This babka manages to achieve brioche-like beauty sans eggs or dairy — impressive, no? (via Food Mouth)
9. Cinnamon Almond Babka: Cinnamon swirl bread topped with almond streusel. Ohh yeah, we’re in! (via The Sugar Hit)
10. Chocolate Babka with Cinnamon and Almond Cream Filling: If you have a difficult time deciding whether you want to order a chocolate or frangipane-filled almond croissant in the morning, this loaf featuring a little bit of both elements is for you. (via Love.Life.Eat.)
11. Thanksgiving Babka: Filled with a homemade cranberry sauce swirl, this recipe is undeniably worthy of the fourth Thursday in November every year. (via The Washington Post)
12. Rich Chocolate Babka Bread Pudding: This dairy-free recipe couldn’t be much easier to make! (via Kosher Scoop)
Which of these decadent cakes are you craving? Let’s chat in the comments!