10 Epic Hotels to Book in Europe Before Summer Ends
Vacation is good for you, so why not treat yourself to an end-of-summer getaway instead of hoarding your PTO? Sam Shank, CEO and co-founder of HotelTonight, says now is actually one of the affordable times to visit some of Europe’s most popular locales. “There’s a common misconception to avoid Europe in August, but this is actually when travelers will find some of the best values,” he says. Most Europeans take their beach vacations this month, so it’s a prime time to take advantage of major cities’ lack of crowds — average rates are notably low in London, Paris, Florence, Berlin, and Madrid, especially.” Shank also says you can score great deals on boutique and luxury hotels in through September due to the exchange rate and a host of new hotel openings in Europe. “We see ample availability is driving down prices,” he notes. Scroll on to see where you need to go before Labor Day rolls around.
1. Baglioni Hotel Regina, Rome, Italy: The HotelTonight team raves about this luxe Roman gem, located on the famous and ultra-fashionable Via Veneto. “This opulent hotel is a stone’s throw from the adored Villa Borghese Gardens and some of the city’s top shopping near Piazza di Spagna, with rates starting at $280 per night,” they say. “We love how the Baglioni enchants guests with Art-Deco-style rooms — you’ll find Italian marble bathrooms, Murano glass chandeliers, and elegant silk tapestries.”
2. Barceló Torre de Madrid, Madrid, Spain: Are you a sucker for a hotel with a bold, distinct feel? This pick might be perfect for you. The team explains, “Near the bustling Gran Via and plenty of shopping and dining, this high-rise hotel has unique interiors that were designed by Spanish favorite Jaime Hayón. This property is also the ideal starting point for exploring Madrid.” Stick to your fitness goals while abroad with a trip to the hotel’s eighth floor; it’s dedicated to wellness and boasts amazing city views.
3. Brown’s Boutique Hotel, Lisbon, Portugal: “In case you couldn’t tell from your Instagram feed, Lisbon is one of the hottest destinations in Europe this year,” the HotelTonight team says. “But there are still great deals to be found — including this boutique hotel in the city center with an arty, modern vibe.” The best part? The location is walkable, and the price clocks in at under $150 per night.
4. Castille Paris, Paris, France: Look no further than this hotel for a quintessential Parisian experience — for less. “With average daily rates starting at $300, this luxury Paris hotel is within walking distance of the Jardins des Tuileries, Place Vendome, and the Louvre,” the team explains. “The iconic Castille is beloved for its blend of classic French and Italian decor and gourmet restaurant L’Assaggio: The outdoor dining area is perfect for a summer evening under the stars.” Throw in a baguette, chocolates, and wine and cheese to make your stay an indulgence even locals would approve of.
5. Grand Hotel Cavour, Florence, Italy: If you *heart* rooftops, you’ll especially love staying in a hip spot with a terrace that provides gorgeous panoramic views of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore and Palazzo Vecchio. Plus, you’ll be close to some of the world’s top museums and historic sights. The HotelTonight team clued us in on additional perks for this prime Florentine location, advising, “Hit up the hotel’s Secret Bar — it’s located underground in preserved ancient brick vaults with a 1920s speakeasy vibe.” It’s less than $200/night, so you may be able to comfortably make the rest of your Florentine fantasies (such as splurging on a handmade leather jacket) come true too.
6. H10 Madison, Barcelona, Spain: “This luxury hotel in the heart of the city is a quick stroll from the beach and the famous central boulevard Las Ramblas and is surrounded by trendy eateries,” the HotelTonight team says. “End your day by taking in breathtaking 360-degree views of iconic sights like the Barcelona Cathedral while sipping a cocktail on the hotel’s chic rooftop terrace and pool.” While in town, make it a point to scope out some of Gaudi’s famous architectural works, visit the Picasso Museum, and treat yourself to a delicious paella dish and glass of sangria at the swanky Boca Chica.
7. Hotel Provocateur, Berlin, Germany: Berlin is a cultural hotspot that offers cooler temps, making it a refreshing destination for a summer getaway. “We love Hotel Provocateur for its hip style at an affordable price — as low as $105/night,” the HotelTonight team shares. “This place has style inspiration from 1920s Paris and burlesque Berlin. It also has a posh bar and adored French-Chinese restaurant the Golden Phoenix.” Round out your stay by exploring the nearby Kurfürstendamm shopping district, a trendy spot where you can people-watch, not to mention look for treasures that you can bring home from your trip.
8. Iveagh Garden Hotel, Dublin, Ireland: Haven’t been to Dublin yet? There’s no time like the present to book a trip you’ll remember forever. The major metro is adored for its signature Guinness beer, literary history, and distinct character. “This hotel is set in a fabulous restored Georgian building and is a rich blend of historic and modern design sensibilities,” the HotelTonight team shares. “It has a charming outdoor terrace overlooking the Iveagh Garden and is near Grafton Street, a bustling section of the city.”
9. Pestana Chelsea Bridge Hotel & Spa, London, England: Up your Instagram game with a stay at a chic and colorful hotel in the Chelsea neighborhood of London. Not only will you be able to snap vibrant pics of the property itself, but you’ll also have easy access to Buckingham Palace and Battersea Park for plenty more photo ops. “We love the Pestana for its designer spa; it’s an ideal place to wind down with a heated indoor pool and bespoke beauty treatments,” the HotelTonight team says.
10. Residenza di Ripetta, Rome, Italy: We’re starting and ending our list in one of the most stunning and romantic cities in the world. “Built in the 1600s, the Residenza di Ripetta is the real deal when it comes to Rome: a former convent that hosts a collection of original paintings, sculptures, and frescoes, with a garden bar and weekend brunch attracting a cool, young professional crowd,” the HotelTonight team tells us. If you love a charming, authentic, and art-filled stay, this is your place. Plus, at just $110/night, you’ll have plenty of dough left over to spend on pizza, pasta, and gelato.
Will you travel to Europe in August or September? Share your snapshots with us on Instagram by tagging us @BritandCo!
(Photos via HotelTonight)