If you’re still on the hunt for a recipe that’ll steal the show at your holiday feast this year, take our bourbon sweet potato casserole recipe for a spin. It’s boozy, sweet, loaded with butter — and we can guarantee you won’t miss those marshmallows once you try this pecan crumble topping.
bourbon sweet potato casserole recipe
For the casserole:
- 6 large Garnet sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 orange, zested
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the streusel topping:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 8 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Pierce each sweet potato a few times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 65-80 minutes, until tender. Let cool. Peel potatoes and add to a large bowl. Mash and set aside. Lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Meanwhile, make the streusel mixture by combining flour, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in maple syrup and melted butter.
3. Time to prep the potatoes! Stir in brown sugar, melted butter, orange zest, half-and-half, vanilla, maple syrup, bourbon, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the mashed sweet potatoes.
4. Pour sweet potato mixture into a buttered baking dish. Top with streusel. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and warmed through. Enjoy!
We recommend serving this casserole with your favorite bourbon cocktail (Old Fashioned or Bourbon Punch, anyone?). Cheers to the holidays!
Recipe Development and Food Styling: Francesca Bean
Styling: Paris Fried
Photography: Kurt Andre