14 Global Dishes for an EPIC Carnival Celebration
You already know how to throw the ultimate Mardi Gras party, so why not expand the Carnival celebration a bit this year? Around the world, you’ll encounter a host of different foods and traditions with one common theme: FUN. Get in the festive spirit with these 14 delicious dishes. Complete with a generous helping of fried foods and other indulgent creations, you’ll definitely have a good time going global.
2. Brazilian Cachaça Chicken Kebabs: Rio’s Carnaval is all about street food so you can keep the festivities moving. Espetinhos — essentially all kinds of skewered, grilled meat — and hot dogs reign supreme. (via Weber)
4. Frappe: These crisp, fried strips of dough go by several different names in Italy — sfrappole, cenci, chiacchiere, angel wings. But beyond the Italian border, you’ll find variations of this classic Carnival treat in France, Spain and a slew of other countries. (via An Italian in My Kitchen)
9. Canadian Beavertails: Don’t worry, no beavers were harmed in the making of these cinnamon- and sugar-dusted fry breads. To wash it all down in true Québécois-style, we recommend a glass of Caribou. (via My Square Frying Pan)
11. Oysters With Orange, Candied Onion and Mint Mignonette: Just add a few flutes of Champagne for the full Belgian breakfast experience. (via Saveur)
14. King Cake: Mardi Gras wouldn’t be complete without a slice of this yeasted cake. Find the tiny baby figurine (or, in this case, a pig) baked within, and you’ll inherit a very important task: Next year’s party is to be hosted by you. (via Bon Appétit)
Do you celebrate Carnival? Share your traditions and recipes with us in the comments!