22 Zany State Fair-Inspired Recipes
The season’s just not complete until you’ve seen a sculpture made of butter and stuffed your face full of charred sweet corn, funnel cakes and whatever absurd exotic meat you can find. From the classic to the ridiculously ridiculous, we’ve dug up all sorts of recipes to help you make a feast of state fair-inspired foods at home. Your apartment and hair may forever smell like a deep-fryer afterwards, but it’s a small price to pay.
1. State Fair Corn Dogs: Even with all the new, hyped-up, experimental foods each year, there’s nothing like a classic corn dog. This recipe calls for a Dutch oven in lieu of a deep fryer. (via Saveur)
2. Homemade Cotton Candy: So flossy, so sugary, so pink. While you won’t need one of those huge machines they use at the fair for this recipe, it does call for a candy thermometer, parchment paper and a little alteration to your kitchen whisk. (via Goddess Life)
4. Fried Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich: This might be the most American thing to ever have happened. We recommend you don’t skip the optional white chocolate ganache topping. U-S-A. U-S-A. U-S-A… (via Leite’s Culinaria)
8. Hot Beef Sundae: Does Indiana know it’s, like, 90 degrees outside during fair time? Their signature fair food is the ultimate comfort bowl — beef stew, mashed potatoes, gravy and cheese piled high like an ice cream sundae. (via Her View From Home)
20. Kool-Aid Pickles: Resist the urge to scream and run away. This is a real thing and apparently it’s not the absolute worst. You can try it at the North Carolina and Texas state fairs — or, now, from your own fridge. (via HGTV Gardens)
22. Beer and Bacon Battered Deep Fried White Castle Sliders: Get outta here, Orange County. What have you done?! (via Dude Foods)
What’s the craziest thing you’ve eaten at the state fair? Let us know in the comments!