10 Surprising Celebs Who’ve Hit the Campaign Trail + Who They’re Supporting
With the presidential race heating up, the campaign trail is growing ever more star-studded. Since we last checked in on the candidates’ celeb endorsements, even more famous faces have stepped in to declare their support for one candidate or another. Let’s take a break from looking at the economic, environmental and family issues that matter most in this election to see which stars support your fave candidate, shall we?
1. George Clooney: A mainstay of the liberal Hollywood scene (which isn’t actually everyone in Hollywood, despite what you might think), George Clooney threw a lavish fundraiser to aid Barack Obama’s re-election bid in 2012. It brought $15 million to the campaign, according to Page Six, which reports that he’ll do the same this year for Hillary Clinton, using his clout as a famous, wealthy person with many wealthy friends and acquaintances to rake in the dough again. (Photo via Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)
— Abbi Jacobson (@abbijacobson) April 12, 2015
2. Abbi Jacobson: When Hillary Clinton had a cameo in an episode of Broad City‘s third season, stars Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer said in no uncertain terms that it wasn’t intended as a political statement. However, Abbi tweeted what appears to be a pretty clear message of support for Hillary last April. The cameo may not have been an endorsement, but this tweet certainly seems to be.
Celebs Supporting Ted Cruz
3. Phil Robertson: If you’ve ever watched Duck Dynasty you’ll recognize Phil Robertson as the patriarch of the titular dynasty. He’s gotten himself into hot water repeatedly for making homophobic remarks, including while supporting his candidate of choice: Ted Cruz. (Screenshot via YouTube)
4. Clint Howard: He’s not as high-profile as his brother, renowned director and actor Ron, but Clint Howard has made a name for himself as a character actor in TV shows and movies for decades. More recently, Clint has been a vocal supporter of Senator Ted Cruz’s presidential ambitions. Cruz’s foreign policy and pro-life agenda are two major factors Howard cited in explaining his support to CNN. (Photo via Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images)
Celebs Supporting John Kasich
5. Tim Allen: Tim “The Tool Man” Taylor, aka Tim Allen, aka star of ’90s sitcom Home Improvement and such illustrious films as Road Dogs, may be a staunch conservative, but he’s a staunch conservative with a heart, or something. Allen has spoken publicly about his support for underdog GOP candidate John Kasich, whom he called “a Republican that a Democrat could vote for.” Whether any Democrats agree is yet to be put to the test, but maybe! (Photo via Angela Weiss/Getty Images)
6. Montel Williams: Longtime TV personality and on-again, off-again Republican Montel Williams penned a lengthy ode for USA Today to explain his support for John Kasich, whom he described as the “adult” we need to elect. Montel was a member of the Republican Party until the early 1990s, and he wrote that Kasich is the first GOP candidate he’s been genuinely excited about since then. (Photo via Alex B. Huckle/Getty Images)
Celebs Supporting Bernie Sanders
7. Mark Ruffalo: Your woke bae Mark Ruffalo is all about Bernie Sanders. He stumped for Bernie in New York recently and generally spends a lot of time on Twitter extolling the virtues of his preferred candidate, in addition to talking about the environment and being handsome (just being handsome, not “talking about being handsome;” he’s not vain like that). (Photo via Rich Polk/Getty Images)
8. Zoë Kravitz: Take a look at Zoë Kravitz’s Instagram feed any day of the week and, like as not, you’ll see a pro-Bernie photo or video in the first couple items. She’s been spreading the Sanders gospel for months now, and shows no signs of stopping. (Photo via Frazer Harrison/Getty Images)
Celebs Supporting Donald Trump
— Dennis Rodman (@dennisrodman) February 26, 2016
9. Dennis Rodman: The former pro basketball player-turned failed Celebrity Apprentice contestant apparently harbors no ill will over being fired from Donald Trump’s show, as he’s stepped up to support the business magnate’s bid for the Republican nomination. In late February, Dennis tweeted at Ted Cruz that Trump is “about to fire your a*s too!” D’awwww.
10. Tom Brady: Both Tom Brady, quarterback for the New England Patriots, and Patriots owner Brad Kraft have spoken warmly about Donald Trump. Tom even had one of Donald’s signature “Make America Great Again” hats in his locker during the 2015 NFL season, and has referred to him repeatedly as a friend. (Photo via Scott Halleran/Getty Images)
Is there a celebrity whose endorsement would convince you to vote for their candidate? Let us know on Twitter at @BritandCo!
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.