Five Ways You’re Ruining Your Coffee Plus One Surprising Confession from a Master Barista
We recently sat down with master barista Giorgio Milos (yes, he is just as charismatic as his photo) at the opening of the new illy Caffe in San Francisco to pick his brain on all things coffee. We talked about the best things happening in coffee today (hint: It has to do with more cafés listening to their customers!) and the worst. He gave us some amazing recipes to up our espresso game and a simple method for the best cold brew you can make at home. But mostly we wanted to know what makes a great cup of coffee and what simple things we might be doing wrong without knowing it. Here are his five tips for the perfect cup, a simple home cold brew hack and one surprising confession.
1. It’s in the beans. Did you know there’s no such thing as “espresso beans?” Any kind of coffee bean can be used for any kind of brew. “Espresso” refers to the fine grind and not the bean or roast itself. As for storage, exposure to air can cause the flavors to dissipate, so it’s important to keep your beans sealed away from light and moisture. Giorgio recommends keeping your beans in the fridge rather than the freezer for long-term storage.
2. Control your temp. Boiling water makes bad coffee. Higher temperatures draw out more of the bitter compounds in the beans, which is why cold brews (recommended at 40 degrees Fahrenheit) are so surprisingly smooth. Aim for 205 degrees Fahrenheit for a perfect cup of joe. If you don’t have a thermometer or fancy temperature-controlled kettle, just let the water rest a minute after boiling before adding it to your grounds.
3. Be afraid of the dark. Roasting coffee is essential to develop its flavor, but over-roasting can mask poor-quality beans. Avoid beans that are super dark, shiny and oily and aim for medium-roasted beans to ensure you’re getting the best quality possible. Giorgio’s quick tip: “That amazing coffee smell in the grocery store actually means the beans are already degassing and deteriorating in quality.”
4. “Single Origin” may be ruining the coffee industry. By using only single origin beans, you need a lot more coffee to bring out all the natural flavors. When you blend beans from multiple sources, just like a vintner’s blend of wine, you’re able to carefully match and highlight different characteristics of different varieties. This means you need much less coffee to make the perfect cup. For example, the illy espresso we sampled used only 7.5 grams of grounds to make a one-ounce espresso. In other shops using single origin beans, that number can grow to 18 grams or more to extract the same flavor. Using more coffee means a greater strain on harvest, which could impact growers and the industry as a whole.
5. Stronger is not necessarily better. Now that you’ve got the keys to the perfect cup of coffee (the best beans, the proper temperature, the correct roast for your palate), don’t go ruining your brew by over-steeping it! While cold brews can take as long as 24 hours, an espresso takes only 30 seconds. And if you’re going the French press or siphon route, you risk leaving your beans in the water too long and drawing out those bitter notes we don’t want. Once you’ve achieved your ideal brew, remove the liquid by pouring it into a separate carafe to preserve your coffee at peak perfection.
Cold Brew Hack
Since cold brew is an essential for summer, we asked how to make the best cold brew to keep in the fridge at home. Turns out, it’s simpler than we thought! Here’s the only equation you need: 80 grams of medium-ground coffee plus one liter of water, chilled for 12 hours. And voila! Your new summer caffeine fix.
So how does a master barista take his morning coffee? You might be surprised! When pressed (get it?), Giorgio confessed that he gets his morning espresso from a machine — the illy Francis Francis X9 iperEspresso Machine ($279), to be precise. He explained that making his version of the perfect espresso first thing in the morning can take upwards of an hour. The machines need to be thoroughly cleaned and warmed up and the beans perfectly ground. That all takes time, so the routine is better suited to weekend enjoyment. On hectic mornings, he pops a capsule in the machine, and in seconds, he has a great (if not Giorgio-perfect) demitasse.
What’s your secret to a perfect cup of coffee? Share with us on Twitter @BritandCo.
Your relationship with your finances is one of the most important relationships you'll ever have, and you can't avoid it. That said, for many of us, the pandemic only added to our financial stress. If you find yourself feeling frazzled, just remember that financial insecurity isn't a net-worth issue — it's a mindset issue. And, we happen to have plenty of advice on how to turn your money mindset around so you can take charge of your funds once and for all.
To start, feeling secure begins with a strong foundation, and there's no better time than now to get started stacking the bricks. It's easy to get swept up in the January "new year, new me" mentality, but really? Any time is the right time to get yourself in order. You don't need to wait for a new year, a new moon, the right moment, or a sign from above. You don't even have to start on the first day of the month — you just need to start.
Introducing NerdWallet: A Safe and Reliable Money App
To help with that, we've put together a list of the just-right-for-you ways that NerdWallet can help you monitor your financial outlook. Haven't heard of them yet? NerdWallet is a personal finance company that helps consumers make smarter financial decisions. Their website and app let you compare different financial products, find articles and tools to make financial decisions with confidence, and keep tabs on your finances (hey there, credit score, I see you!) all in one place. Plus, NerdWallet has over 75,000 glowing reviews in the App Store (and a 4.8 star rating) if you want to read up on any more testimonials.
Tim Chen, NerdWallet's CEO and co-founder, started this financial journey in 2009 after his sister needed help finding a credit card. Even with an economics degree and a Wall Street background, it took awhile for Tim to find the right recommendation (so don't feel too bad when it takes you a while, too). Their mission is to bring clarity to all of life's financial decisions.
So it's safe to say that NerdWallet is a pretty good sherpa for your journey, too.
Get the most from your money
Did you know that the money you park in a savings account can lose value? Harsh, but true. If your money isn't earning interest that's on pace with inflation it will actually be worth less to you in the future. And if the bank charges fees? Forget about it. Make sure you're earning the interest you deserve and come out on top. NerdWallet has researched dozens of financial institutions to help consumers find the best options. The hard work has already been done for you, so you can just select the account that works best for you and your nest egg.
Keep an eye on everything, securely
Once everything is set up, tracking and managing your finances is what will keep the money machine running smoothly. You can create an account either through the site or the app and link your bank accounts, then keep tabs on all your finances in one place. Get a clear picture of your saving and spending, get insights into how to master your money, and even build your credit score all in one place.
Get extra credit points
Do you have the best credit card for your lifestyle? Some cards give cash back on every purchase, ones with travel perks, and ones that charge way less interest than you're paying now. NerdWallet takes the guesswork out of choosing the right credit card with simple side-by-side comparisons of different credit cards so that you feel confident choosing the right one. Whatever you want to do, NerdWallet can help you find the best credit card to get it done.
Know your options for settling down
Mortgage rates are pretty low and it looks like they're going to stay that way for awhile, so buying a home might be the move sooner than you think. But there's so much more to a mortgage than just the interest rate! To help you choose a mortgage lender, NerdWallet has in-depth reviews on multiple lenders in a mixture of categories so you get the home loan with the mortgage rate, term, and fees that's right for you.
Settle an old score
NerdWallet helps you monitor your credit score for free and helps you see how little things (like raising the limit on your credit card or paying your bills on time) can increase your score. NerdWallet partners with TransUnion® to provide your VantageScore® 3.0, based on information in your TransUnion® credit report. Your score and credit report information are updated weekly. But that's not even close to all:
- They provide you with tips from experts on how you could build or optimize your credit score
- You'll get a detailed look at your credit score and all the factors that go into it—your payment history, credit utilization, the age and type of accounts, balances, and any recent inquiries
- The credit simulator tool gives you an idea of how your credit score would change if you applied for a new credit card, closed your oldest credit card, or got a new auto loan
- You also get free, unlimited access to your credit report
When it comes to managing your money, safe and reliable is where it's at. Establishing a healthy relationship with your finances begins when you take control and practice habits that build wealth. Signing up just takes a few minutes. Set your intentions to build a solid financial foundation, it will only strengthen your relationship with your finances. And don't be afraid to get a little nerdy while you're at it.