10 Creative Date Ideas That Don’t Involve Boozing
With the weather so chilly, it can be easy to fall into a rut, where date night always means hitting a bar — even if it’s just so the walk home isn’t quite so cold. And while trying out fancy cocktail bars or hanging in your favorite dive bar is fun once in awhile, it gets old quick when you feel like your options are limited. Not to mention, some people don’t drink at all, so when the answer to “What should we do tonight?” always involves a bar, the relationship could very well be in trouble. We’re sharing super fun and booze-free date ideas that will keep your evenings full of sparks.
1. Take a Studio Class: Pottery, painting and glass-blowing studios often offer great deals that let you try out your first class without committing to a full, multiple-week course. Skip the bar and spend the money you would have spent on drinks creating something beautiful together.
2. Get Breakfast for Dinner: Just because you’re giving up on your fave dive bars doesn’t mean you have to give up on ALL your beloved haunts. Diners with all-day breakfast are actually heaven on earth, and milkshakes are a pretty delicious swap for booze.
3. Tour a Coffee Roastery: Here’s a great alternative to brewery tours or wine tastings. The best part? No one needs to be the DD at the end of the tour!
4. Take a Mini Road Trip: Remember that Master of None episode where Dev takes Rachel on a first-date trip to Nashville? Okay, so it’s not a road trip (there’s a whole plotline about missing their flight), but the idea is so cute and unexpected. Plus, you’ll be taking turns driving so, legally, you won’t be boozing at all.
5. Go Gallery Hopping: When you want to take in some culture but feel like you’ve hit all the hubs in your city, do a little Googling to find some smaller exhibits. They’re awesome for seeing some unexpected art and meeting some really cool people.
6. Go to a Farmers’ Market: Weekend morning dates are the best. Hit a coffee shop on the way and spend a few hours wandering around marveling at all the gorgeous produce and prepared food. Bonus: There will probably be tons of samples, so no need to make breakfast. If it’s a hit, it could become a Saturday morning tradition!
7. Take a Cooking Class Together: This one could be the date that keeps on giving. You’ll pick up a few good recipes to use later on, and date nights at home will forever be a little tastier.
8. Go to an Arcade: Who doesn’t want to feel like a teenager in puppy love once in awhile? This one will take you right back to butterflies in your stomach, hanging with your crush after school.
9. Make Vision Boards Together: Before you (or your S.O.) roll your eyes, think about it: If your relationship is moving along nicely, vision boards are a great way to involve each other in your lives. Couples who dream together stay together. Or something.
10. DIY Together: Maybe you’ll spruce up his bachelor pad in the process. Try out a Brit + Co online class to make something like a concrete lamp or a succulent planter.
Are you getting sick of booze-filled date nights? Tweet us which of our ideas you’re most excited to try @britandco!
(Photos via Getty)