Coachella is upon us, which means you are probably asking yourself the age-old question, “What do I wear?” As people are getting ready to flock to the California desert, it’s getting even more apparent that these two weekends aren’t just about music; it’s also about fashion. And knowing what’s in and what’s out is key to finding the perfect outfit. While cute sunnies and fanny packs are going strong, you might be surprised to find that you won’t find many flower crowns this year. But here are some awesome ideas that will help you put together a signature ensemble.
1. Madewell Oversized Jean Jacket in Capstone Wash ($128): According to Poshmark, the largest social marketplace for fashion, denim will be the most sought-after look this festival season, especially by brands like Levi’s and Madewell. And this slightly faded jacket is perfect for looking effortlessly cool during the day and keeping you warm at night. Remember, the desert gets chilly — so remember your mom’s advice and bring layers!
2. Sacred Hawk Embellished Baker Boy Hat ($40): In place of the quintessential flower crown is the newsboy or baker boy hat. These cute caps will keep the sun off your face and complete your totally cool, ’90s rocker look.
3. Electric Mix Tape Sunglasses ($225): Coachella is about color! Trendy and colorful sunnies have been trendy for a couple of years, and they’re still a festival staple. Everyone needs the perfect sunglasses, and this pair with melanin-infused lenses will help protect your eyes while you’re partying in the desert.
4. UO Velvet Hair Scrunchie Set ($12): ’90s trends are back and they’re everywhere. Coachella is no exception. If you’re feeling the desert heat, you can still keep your hair on-trend with a colorful scrunchie.
5. Rina Crocheted Crossbody Bag ($88): WhoWhatWear senior news editor, Erin Fitzpatrick, told ABC News that you’ll see “plenty of straw bags” this year. They’re light and practical, so you can find one that fits all your essentials without weighing you down.
6. Lulu’s Day in the Sun Cream Striped Cover Up ($56): Though the trends may change a little from year-to-year, you can still opt for a Coachella classic like a light, breathable dress in a neutral color. Dress it up with some accessories or wear a colorful bralette with it to make your outfit super unique. The best outfits are the ones that aren’t too overdone.
7. Free People Ginger Bodysuit ($48): If you’re keeping it simple and comfortable, a bodysuit with denim jeans is perfect for the weekend. These lace-up details also add a cool, on-trend, rocker vibe that will take your look up a notch for this year.
8. adidas Originals Superstar Metallic Sneaker ($80): Chunky sneakers are a popular (and comfortable) go-to for any fashion lover — and they’re especially great for Coachella 2018. The wide, chunky fit gives you a sporty, ’90s aesthetic, and your feet will thank you at the end of the day.
9. Lulu’s Wanderer Silver Layered Necklace ($14): Being out in the hot desert can really take its toll on you and your statement jewelry. Instead of something big and heavy, lots of people are opting for pretty, stackable, and layered options that totally stand out but also keep you cool.
10. ASOS ABSOLUTE Wide Fit Suede Chelsea Ankle Boots ($60): Coachella means desert. And desert means dust. If you’re serious about this weekend, ditch the heels and opt for some booties that protect your feet from the elements. Plus, according to celebrity stylist Dianne Garcia, Western wear is going to be a big trend this year.
11. UO Lily Belt Bag ($44): If you’re not feeling the cross body bags or totes for your essential festival needs, the trusty, fashionable fanny pack (or belt bag) will come to your rescue. This studded, suede version is a perfect match for festival wear.
12. BDG Kick Flare High-Rise Cropped Jean ($64): Since 2018 is all about denim, don’t overthink going for the full Canadian tuxedo. For an unexpected touch, a cropped, kick flare jean will update your look for the modern age and make you flawlessly festival-ready.
Do you have any recommendations for festival wear? Share them with us on Instagram @BritandCo!
Brit + Co may at times use affiliate links to promote products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.
(Featured photo via Getty)