Poor carnations. These cheap, frilly flowers have gotten a bad rap over the years, often relegated to prom corsages, funeral wreaths, bouquet filler and the lingering wives’ tale that someone who gives you carnations is just… not that into you. There are plenty of reasons to love them though. They’re sturdy and long-lasting, which makes them perfect for projects like flower crowns. Plus, they’re available in just about any color you can dream of, so they’ll fit into any wedding, shower or party palette, no matter what the season is. Their affordability is great from a budget perspective and they look stunning when displayed in bulk. Are you convinced yet? Just take a look at these nine fun new ways to use one of the most underrated flowers and get ready to be a believer.
1. Carnation Backdrop: A curtain of carnations? Yes, please! If you’re doing this on a smallish scale, you could pull it off for about $100. Get a lazy-girl tutorial at A Practical Wedding. (via EA Photography)
2. Ice Cream Cone Centerpieces: Pastel carnations grouped together in paper waffle-cone “vases” can serve triple duty: table decorations, place holders and gifts for your guests to take home. (via The Kitchn)
3. DIY Carnation Candles: Have leftover carnation petals? Reuse them in these easy DIY recycled candles. Mix and match wax and carnation hues to create countless color schemes. Hello, perfect Mother’s Day gift! (via Hello Natural)
7. Carnation Wreath: See, they don’t have to look like they belong in a funeral home! Carnation wreaths are an affordable (and colorful) statement piece for weddings, showers or parties. (via Polka Dot Bride)
8. Carnation Garland: Have a needle and thread? Just add a smattering of carnations and you’ve got a perfect garland for chairs, windows or doorways. They also work with tulle or fabric as a wedding chair decoration. (via Proper)
What are your favorite flowers to decorate with? Are you a carnation convert now? Let us know in the comments below!