9 New (+ Pretty!) Ways to Decorate With Carnations
Poor carnations. These cheap, frilly flowers have gotten a bad rap over the years, often relegated to prom corsages, funeral wreaths, bouquet filler and the lingering wives’ tale that someone who gives you carnations is just… not that into you. There are plenty of reasons to love them though. They’re sturdy and long-lasting, which makes them perfect for projects like flower crowns. Plus, they’re available in just about any color you can dream of, so they’ll fit into any wedding, shower or party palette, no matter what the season is. Their affordability is great from a budget perspective and they look stunning when displayed in bulk. Are you convinced yet? Just take a look at these nine fun new ways to use one of the most underrated flowers and get ready to be a believer.
1. Carnation Backdrop: A curtain of carnations? Yes, please! If you’re doing this on a smallish scale, you could pull it off for about $100. Get a lazy-girl tutorial at A Practical Wedding. (via EA Photography)
2. Ice Cream Cone Centerpieces: Pastel carnations grouped together in paper waffle-cone “vases” can serve triple duty: table decorations, place holders and gifts for your guests to take home. (via The Kitchn)
3. DIY Carnation Candles: Have leftover carnation petals? Reuse them in these easy DIY recycled candles. Mix and match wax and carnation hues to create countless color schemes. Hello, perfect Mother’s Day gift! (via Hello Natural)
7. Carnation Wreath: See, they don’t have to look like they belong in a funeral home! Carnation wreaths are an affordable (and colorful) statement piece for weddings, showers or parties. (via Polka Dot Bride)
8. Carnation Garland: Have a needle and thread? Just add a smattering of carnations and you’ve got a perfect garland for chairs, windows or doorways. They also work with tulle or fabric as a wedding chair decoration. (via Proper)
What are your favorite flowers to decorate with? Are you a carnation convert now? Let us know in the comments below!
Fall is right around the corner, and we're getting amped up for our next session of Selfmade, Brit + Co's 10-week interactive startup school. Designed to help you create a new business or grow your existing one, this course is personally led by Brit + Co founder Brit Morin and co-founder Anjelika Temple, and supported by more than a dozen of the top female entrepreneurs, creatives, and investors in the country. Students receive personalized coaching on everything from how to get out of your comfort zone to how to scale your business, and everything in between. And now, thanks to Office Depot, even more of you can join the course!
For the fall session, we're thrilled to team up with Office Depot to grant 200 FREE scholarship seats to the course. Scholarships are open to US residents, focusing on women of color, women from underserved and underrepresented communities, and women in need of support to help them trail-blaze. After all, we firmly believe that your support system is a huge part of how you achieve greatness, and we are here to cheer all of you on.
To nominate yourself or someone you know for a scholarship, head to our nomination form right here. The deadline for scholarship nominations is September 27th — it's time to take the leap!
Beyond the scholarship, Office Depot is all about helping you accomplish more. Whether it be the start phase, growth phase or keep businesses going phase, Office Depot offers a full suite of business solutions, including services and products, to help you work from anywhere, organize and save time and help build your brand.
So what are you waiting for? Take a chance on yourself and get yourself one step closer to truly being selfmade. Learn more about the Selfmade program, apply for a scholarship and prepare to be inspired :)