Home Hacks: 10 Must-Try DIY Cleaning Supplies
Here at Brit + Co., we believe that the future home can also be a frugal home. So we keep our ear to the ground for time-saving tricks and cash-friendly hacks that help make your pad chic and super smart. Our latest find: DIY cleaning supplies. They’re nothing new, but fresh off of mixing our own cold remedies, we’re feeling up to another made-totally-at-home challenge. With just a bit of elbow grease and products you probably already have laying around your pad, you can get your living space so fresh and so clean on the cheap. Start with these 10 must-try home cleaning basics.
1. Dish Soap: Refresh your senses while you remove grease and grime with this four ingredient DIY dish soap that includes a mix of your fave essential oils. Brownie points for the mason jar pump! (via Doterra Blog)
2. Bathroom Cleaning Wipes: You guys, these lemon scented surface wipes are stored in a custom silver tub that keeps its contents fresh and amps up the look of your bathroom at the same time. Genius home hack. (via Savvy Sugar)
3. Grapefruit and Kosher Salt Tub Cleaner: This DIY is as simple as they get: slice a grapefruit in half, sprinkle with salt, and scrub a dub dub that tub. As this blogger notes, you can use this method to clean sinks, toilets, and tile too—I’ve tried the hack on my wooden butcher block with a lemon (smaller surface, smaller citrus) and loved the results. (via Apartment Therapy)
4. Furniture Polish: Making a wood furniture polish is exactly the same as making a vinaigrette for your favorite salad. No joke—add white vinegar, lemon juice, and olive oil into a small plastic squeeze bottle and prep it for use with a vigorous shake. (via Savvy Sugar)
5. Glass Cleaner: A basic DIY glass cleaner recipe gets a boost from essential oils for scent and dish soap for shine, making this your go-to for streak-free windows and mirrors. Stamp out the label for your spray bottle to add a charming handmade touch. (via New Nostalgia)
6. Garbage Disposal Cubes: These vinegar and lemon chunk ice cubes are not for your drink (yuck)—they’re for your sink! Well, your garbage disposal, specifically. Consider these its favorite breath mints ;) (via WikiHow)
7. Dry Carpet Cleaner: Smelly carpets are no match for this easy homemade carpet cleaner. Simply sprinkle it over the culprit carpet and let it sink in before it’s vacuumed up. Don’t worry, this eco-friendly recipe is pet and baby-safe. (via Savvy Sugar)
8. Laundry Soap: Next time you run out of detergent, give this tried and true DIY recipe go. This blogger gives it two thumbs up in her one year-later review—it’s cheap to make, it’s long-lasting, and it’s great for sensitive skin. (via Liz Marie Blog)
9. Felted Wool Dryer Balls: This might be the cutest way to banish chemicals from your laundry routine. Add a drop of essential oil to these adorable wool-felted balls that wick moisture from your wet clothes and reduce static in the direr. (via Petals to Picots)
10. All-Purpose Cleaner: Finally, the big poppa of home cleaning supplies is given a DIY makeover. Borax and lemon juice tag team to disinfect and deodorize in this all-in-one cleaner that’s scented with a sprig of rosemary. (via Savvy Sugar)
Do you DIY your own cleaning supplies? What recipes really work? Any fantastic one we missed? Tell us in the comments below.
You can wear many hats running a business and sometimes some look better than others. Thanks to Office Depot, we're talking with Koyun Fan, co-founder of Sticky Rice Sisters, about finding inspiration along the way and staying organized on the road to success.