It’s true: you can totally DIY yourself back into shape when you’re sniffling, sneezing, or feeling all kinds of sore. Not by breaking out the craft glue, silly, but by whipping up simple cold remedies with all-natural ingredients. These tried and true recipes have you turning to your pantry instead of your medicine cabinet, using essential ingredients like spices, honey, and lemon to boost your immune system. We have to say, the ones we’ve tried have worked! Intrigued? These 10 home cold remedies are where to start.
1. Wellness Juice Shot: This might be the tastiest—and least intimidating—way to keep your immune system in check: with a cooling juice. Combine celery, green apple, lemon, and ginger with a dash of cayenne to make these bright green shooters. (via Lexie’s Kitchen)
2. Cold Remedy Elixir: Get well acquainted with this potent elixir made with fresh garlic, ginger, and honey. True, it tastes as intense as it sounds, but trust us: you’ll want to down it the next time the cold bug sweeps through your office. (via Hazel Wonderland Blog)
3. Honey Thyme Cough Syrup: Thyme-infused water acts as a floral base for this herbal cough syrup that’s sweetened with soothing honey. Make it at the start of cold season: it lasts for up to two months when it’s jarred and refrigerated. (via Cafe Johnsonia)
5. Honey Ginger Throat Drops: When your medicine looks and tastes like candy, you know you’re doing something right ;) Don’t be intimidated by the idea of making your own throat drops—the second step in this recipe is “have a nap” (no joke!). (via Sarah McGill)
6. Turmeric Milk: This DIY drink might be the perfect before-bed drink on sniffly nights. Just steam milk with earthy turmeric, floral cardamon, and spicy black pepper to make this sweet, Indian-spiced remedy. (via Journey Kitchen)
7. Lemon Ginger Cough Syrup: It’s true: you can make your own cough syrup with just four easy-to-find ingredients. Better yet, it’s way tasty thanks to the mix of honey, ginger, and lemon. (via Brit + Co.)
8. Homemade Garlic Salve: Raw garlic salve—yeah, it sounds totally gross, especially when I’m next going to tell you to rub it all over your skin. But this very salve worked wonders on a coughy newborn, so if you’re willing to get stinky, we say give it a shot. (via The Elliott Homestead)
9. Sweetened Raw Apple Cider Vinegar Elixir: Remember when your grandma used to make you drink a spoonful of apple cider vinegar when you were sick? Well luckily, this elixir is way more tolerable, all thanks to the addition of apple juice and a pinch of cinnamon. Sip on this mixture to help reduce sinus infections or sore throats. (via Delighted Momma)
10. Blue Elderberry Cold Syrup: Elderberries do sound fancy, but this recipe is as no-frills as they come. Reduce fresh, blue elderberries into a syrup sweetened with honey to make this cold syrup. (via Daily Candy)
Do you turn to home remedies when you’re feeling ill? What recipes have you tried that actually work? Tell us in the comments below.